50 Greatest Battlers of All-Time: Busy Bee Starski

Discussion in 'The 50 Greatest Battle Rappers of All-Time' started by gregrieke20, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregrieke20

gregrieke20 Well-Known Member

I am a graphic designer, and this is a follow up on a book I'm creating noting the 50 greatest battlers of all-time. By now, I know a good number of you are aware of it. If not here is the link to the most recent thread: http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-vi...battlers-all-time-illustrations-complete.html

RegularJoe, (a poster on here) offered to write the bios and has begun working on some of them. I tried doing it myself at the beginning, but I figured it'd be best to leave a writer to do that portion of the work, and I feel its been a DEFINITE improvement. Each spread of the book will be set up so the battler's illustration is on one page, and his bio is on the other.

I will be posting them every so often on here, and I encourage feedback, criticism, other info, and whatever else you all can offer.

Below is both the bio itself, and how it will appear in the book. This is Busy Bee's. Thanks again, all previous feedback has been a huge help.

Also, here are the previous ones that have been posted, for those who have not seen them:
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-vi...-greatest-battlers-all-time-sage-francis.html
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-vi...-greatest-battlers-all-time-serius-jones.html
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-video-archives/1235386-50-greatest-battlers-all-time-dizaster.html
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-video-archives/1239826-50-greatest-battlers-all-time-mc-juice.html
    http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-video-archives/1250506-50-greatest-battlers-all-time-swann.html

[​IMG]
    test
  2. gregrieke20

This page right here is the place to be. Because the place to be is with Busy Bee. Historical significance is a difficult thing to place with battle rappers. The subculture is divided into a series of distinct eras; how can we judge the accomplishments and talents of performers from one against the other? But what cannot be disputed when considering the forefathers of the battle rap movement is their impact, not only on battling as an art form, but on hip hop as a whole. Busy Bee was not only an originator when it came to rap battles. He was an originator when it came to rap as a whole.

Born in The Bronx in the late 1950s, Bee burst onto the hip hop scene in 1977, before him and his contemporaries knew just what they were creating. For Bee, notoriety would be gained through his partnership with Afrika Bambaataa and his Zulu Nation, one of the pioneering factions that would define the hip hop landscape in New York throughout the 1980s. Bee was accomplished as a battler before joining the Nation, but it was this experience that allowed hime to hone and perfect his style. As for that style? Well, when Busy Bee rocked the mic, he rocked the mic right.

It is widely accepted that Busy Bee battled more MCs than anyone else throughout the 1980s. Before his most famous battle, a 1982 showdown at the Harlem World Rappers Convention against Kool Moe Dee, Bee boastfully claimed to have defeated over 800 rappers in his prime. Moe Dee wouldn't be one of them. In one of the first recorded and most influential battles ever to take place, Bee took the L to Moe Dee's quick paced, innovative style. The loss would not deter The Chief Rocker; in the same year he was featured in the film Wild Style, battling Lil Rodney C of the Funky 4+1, while he continued to tear up the New York underground.

Bee's battling career crested in 1985 when he won the New Music Seminar MC World Supremacy Belt, the most competitive battle event at the time. Throughout the competition Bee's charisma carried him past a crew of challengers, his larger than life persona matching his dialed up outfits and outrageous stage presence. In the finals he crossed mics with Roxanne Shante, earning a controversial victory that still divides battle enthusiasts to this day.

Today, Busy Bee continues to rhyme, appearing most recently on the collaborative album Hip Hop Lives and in the 2007 documentary Hip Hop Legends. He owns and operates Busy Bee Enterprises out of Baltimore, putting on shows and funding events in the hip hop underground. While the world of hip hop may have left the styles and conventions of its forefathers behind, an MC like Busy Bee reminds us of the culture's roots and birthplace, every time he steps up in the place to be.
    test
  3. GRANDPA JOE

GRANDPA JOE New Member

Really nice.

How big are the book's dimensions gonna be again? Out of curiosity.

Also, did you ever find pictures for adeem and justice?
    test
  4. gregrieke20

The dimensions of the book are approximately 8.5 x 11.5 per page, so about 17 x 11.5 per spread.

Never did find any good pics of Adeem and Justice. Found a few of Adeem that will "work" but aren't exactly ideal. If anyone knows Justice's real name that would be helpful. I was going to ask him on Facebook if he has it.
    test
  5. gregrieke20

I'd also like to say RegularJoe is doing a great job with these. Each one of these shits took MAD long to illustrate so to have someone provide copy that is of an equal standard is incredible.

I feel he's really done an amazing job of capturing each individual rapper who's bio he has done thus far. Like each of their personalities comes out in their biographies, its extremely impressive.
    test
  6. reznick

reznick New Member

Fuck man, that was written very well

Shouts to Joe and you for this
    test
  7. reznick

reznick New Member

Damn Kool Moe revolutionized battling in this single performance

Kinda reminds me of The Saurus vs Orugusaki and a MUCH larger scale

[youtube]dhuqTecycQQ[/youtube]
    test
  8. GRANDPA JOE

GRANDPA JOE New Member

If I may point out something, and it may only be in the picture (not the actual book itself, who knows) but the font color doesn't go together well with the pages. Makes you have to really squint your eyes to see it. It'll probably be easier to read once it actually comes out to the dimensions but even so I think a darker color would look better. Just my humble opinion.
    test
  9. gregrieke20

Yea, just as a design element I made the names only like 50% black. (The quote is also lighter as well. It'll be fine as a printed copy, and I can see it perfectly fine on my screen, but I have been debating on bumping it up to like 70% black so you might be right.
    test
  10. gregrieke20

Thanks Rez. Its definitely appreciated.

Also, here is Moe Dee's full segment from that battle. He goes the fuck in lol. And there are lots of "personals" in it as well. I know its Busy Bee's thread, but this is really cool.

[youtube]iGMakc5eWfw&playnext=1&list=PL9E13169D0308AC24&index=33[/youtube]
    test
  11. blackout805

blackout805 Member

30 years later Kool Moe Dee is still better than half of GT lmao
    test
  12. TheRealWarlock

TheRealWarlock Top 5 In The 505

Dope yo thanks for the knowledge! keep em comin I can't wait to own this book!!
    test
  13. roc55555

roc55555 Well-Known Member

I'm really proud of u Greg. This project is very organized and has become something I am looking very forward to see when the finished product is made.
    test
  14. angel p

angel p ++++++

^ i agree.. this is a dope project man.
    test
  15. RegularJoe

RegularJoe Well-Known Member

Word. Thanks for the positive words Greg and others. As I mentioned in the other thread when it got bumped a few days ago, this is a project that I really believe in and I'm excited to see the finished product as much as you guys. I'm glad that people are enjoying the bio's and the general feel of the book as a whole.

These are going to be coming fast and frequent in the coming year. I turned in two major technical writing projects last week, so my schedule has cleared up immensely. My goal is to produce these on a weekly basis if I can, with the idea being to have a ton of copy ready to go on this early in the year so potential publishers will have a bevy of material to sink their teeth into. I have a real good feeling 2011 is going to be a big year for this project.

Thanks again for the interest and support everyone.
    test
  16. TurboMikey

TurboMikey Active Member

I can finally see these pics lol, book is looking dope man. U need to put this out asap.
    test
  17. SoInsane

SoInsane New Member

Book is lookin good man when you expect to put that shit out?
    test
  18. gregrieke20

Thanks for all the love everyone. Its greatly appreciated. I honestly can't put a pin on when the book will be out. But it definitely feels like the ball is rolling a bit more.

The publishers I've spoken with have become more and more interested with each new bit I give them, however they said they would like to see more before they go forward with it.
    test
  19. seansss

seansss Bath Salt Heaven

i'd love to buy this book when it's finished
    i'm really excited that someone is doing this concept justice
    test
  20. gregrieke20

Thanks seansss.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.