50 Greatest Battle Rappers of All-Time: Breez Evahflowin

Discussion in 'The 50 Greatest Battle Rappers of All-Time' started by gregrieke20, Feb 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregrieke20

gregrieke20 Well-Known Member

I am a graphic designer, and this is a follow up on a book I'm creating noting the 50 greatest battlers of all-time. By now, I know a good number of you are aware of it.
    RegularJoe, (a poster on here) offered to write the bios and has begun working on some of them. I tried doing it myself at the beginning, but I figured it'd be best to leave a writer to do that portion of the work, and I feel its been a DEFINITE improvement. Each spread of the book will be set up so the battler's illustration is on one page, and his bio is on the other.

I will be posting them every so often on here, and I encourage feedback, criticism, other info, and whatever else you all can offer.

Below is both the bio itself, and how it will appear in the book. This is Breez Evahflowin's. Thanks again, all previous feedback has been a huge help.

Also, all the previous spreads that were posted can be found in a new subforum. Here is the link: http://board.rapmusic.com/battle-video-archives/50-greates...pers-all-time/

[​IMG]

An MCs moniker is not necessarily meant to match their personality. Some rappers choose their namesake in the attempt to create a character fully separate from themselves, others simply on a whim without a thought of the deeper meaning that might rest behind it. Whatever the thought process that went into the creation of the name Breez Evahflowin', it certainly wasn't a reflection of the Manhattan native's performance style. The NYC veteran might have spit with the smooth effortlessness of a light breeze. But the impact of his powerful punches was more akin to gale force winds.

Growing up on Manhattan's Upper West Side, Breez first developed an interest in hip hop in the late 70s, a time when it seemed every corner featured a DJ, an MC and a b-boy. It wasn't until the late 80s that he began to become involved in the culture himself, battling across the city at famed locations such as the Nuyorican Cafe and Wetlands. Breez had an intensely rhythmic ear, blessed with the ability to pick out the pocket of an instrumental almost instantaneously. His flawless freestyles were always on beat, and he quickly earned a reputation as one of the deadliest spitters on the East Coast.

His biggest accomplishments in the world of battle rap came in the late 90s, when he became a force in some of the most high profile competitions in the history of the sport. He was crowned champion of the Blaze Battles tournament in 1998, besting Lonnie B in the finals. In 1999, he returned to the competition, this time sponsored by BET and featuring a stacked field including Craig G, the RZA, Pumpkinhead and many more. In one of the most impressive performances of the era, Breez absolutely decimated Cappadonna in an early round matchup, showcasing all the elements of his perfectly well rounded style before eventually bowing out in the later rounds of the tournament.

Breez continued to stand out on battle rap's biggest stages over the next few years. He ran off a streak of six straight victories at MTV's DFX Battles in 2001, and two years later took home the crown at the Carson Daly hosted Last Call MC Battle competition, picking apart AdeEM in the finals with his pristine flow and powerful punches. Breez went out on top following this championship, fading into the background of the battle scene while concentrating on the music of his group Stronghold.

Today, Breez is a multifaceted artist, having gained a great deal of success with his artwork and comic book creations while still remaining musically inclined. A legendary great who wants to keep his legacy intact, Breez remains an avid fan of battle rap from a distance, not wanting to reignite his hunger by participating in the scene too directly. The modern era of battle rappers should be thankful, as history has proven just how quickly this Breez can turn into a full fledged tornado.
    test
  2. thaRealFlamez

thaRealFlamez Member

i neva even heard of this guy. thanks to u i have now. much appreciated g.
    test
  3. Ducking Angels

Ducking Angels Good bars> Bad bars

Co-Sign this.
    test
  4. MyBallsYourChin

MyBallsYourChin Active Member

Ever time I hear Breez's name, I think about what Swann did to him at scribble jam. One of the biggest body bags of all time.
    test
  5. gregrieke20

^agreed, breez even said that himself, but it doesn't take away from some of the great stuff he did in his in time
    Biotch! You wish you had a phone like mine...
    test
  6. Kunty McPhuck

Kunty McPhuck aka Mr C U Next Tuesday

Greg I think we all know that youre a graphic designer by now. Just sayin (no hash tag)
    test
  7. gregrieke20

Hahahahaha...copy and paste my dude lol
    test
  8. RegularJoe

RegularJoe Well-Known Member

[youtube]zVxIx4qno1U[/youtube]

One of my favorite bodybags of the freestyle era ... Breez was a maniac in his prime.
    test
  9. carbuncle31

carbuncle31 New Member

'fuck yu up from beginning to the end
    now you lonnie b, i believe youre with that crew "the superfriends"
    what does that mean? trying to fuck with me, youre not the man
    you probably the weakest nigga in the crew like motherfucking aquaman'
    test
  10. roc55555

roc55555 Well-Known Member

da gawd himself
    test
  11. JONNY STORM

JONNY STORM Dominiking

Breez was that fuckin dude for real...his battle with Pumpkin head one of the first that really inspired me for real
    test
  12. IronsWrittens

IronsWrittens Well-Known Member

this is exactly what i was gonna post when i went in here
    test
  13. Shameless

Shameless Friendship is magic!

Breeze is dope.

[youtube]rq-RAsEY8mE[/youtube]
    test
  14. JobOne

JobOne Man of the Hour

:dub:
    test
  15. ozzie1012

ozzie1012 Member

i remember seeing him on mtv back when they had direct jams i think thats whats it called. Lala and some dude hosted it.
    test
  16. DestroNY

DestroNY Teem Weed

On point as always, my dude. I'm definitely going to cop the book whenever you get it published. Any progress on finding out about when that's happening? Last I spoke to you about it was @ the Soul Khan Persuance release party, but I hadn't seen you say anything else about it on here since either.
    test
  17. SaM HaiN

SaM HaiN Onslaught

one of the greatest of the pre-scribble era.
    dude literally was the first battler i became a fan of. i think it was somewhere between 99 and 00 i forget...
    DFX on mtv would have weekly battles and i remember breez was champ on there for a while. this was before mtv did the 8mile inspired battles with locksmith, reignman, and marv a few years later.

[youtube]P7BYhX7pFKY&feature=related[/youtube]

during the highlights you can see hommy hom at 2:05 for a split second.

i remember el gant finally beat breez after weeks of him being undefeated and then the next dude he wouldve battled wouldve been pumpkinhead. which wouldve been their 3rd and final battle (i believe they've both beaten each other once)

this mightve been the first use of the <celebrity>'s stunt double line, could be wrong though.

i heard breez is retiring from rap.
    which is a damn shame because his music is some of the best from his scene tbh.

it really is a shame cats don't know who breez evahflowin is asides from the swann battle
    dude has put in so much WORK into underground hip hop it's ridiculous.
    test
  18. gregrieke20

I agree swann killed him, and so did breez when I interviewed him...but there's tons of legends who have been embarrassed, dismantled, bodied, etc. not only in battle rap, but in other forms of competition like sports as well. In breez' case his accomplishments far outweigh his failures.
    test
  19. Identity

Identity Shaq fears Yao!

Swann was pretty unfuckwitable that whole scribble except against Rhymefest which I think Swann won but that was a huge bodybag on Breez. Those 2 rounds alone are better than most of these current battle rapper's entire rounds of battles combined.
    test
  20. serge

serge Well-Known Member

Breeze also won the allstar emcee challenge at EOW. Legend.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.