5 round fights

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by OurSin, Aug 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

I think keeping the fights at 3 rounds is good for the business, too. Less rounds means more fights, more variety and more fighter exposure. I don't want to watch a card with three dull decisions and nothing else.
    Look at that 'Strikeforce: Nashville' event - Big names mean more interest in a fight that wouldn't otherwise warrant it - And that event was a real stinker, even with its star power.

I think part of MMA's appeal is that you don't get a chance to get bored enough to tune out - After 15 minutes, something else comes along. 25 could alienate the casual fanbase and limit the sport's popularity.

A longer fight won't defeat lay and pray - It might even encourage it. What better way to rest than spending a round lying on top of your opponent? Then he gets worn down more and is even less of a threat. It works against strikers more than boring wrestlers.

And I agree with making title matches longer than regular ones - It creates the image of the title picture truly being the upper echelon, instead of just competing for an accessory.
    test
  2. The Nonpareil

The Nonpareil What about me?

My only argument against it is that the relatively quick 15 minute fights are part of MMA's appeal. Remember the CBS card? That happens sometimes.
    test
  3. jayoo

jayoo new york representative

having 2 extra championship rounds IS innovation what are you talking about? where else has that EVER been done? your right it's mainly american mma, and thats the reason it's innovative, same as the japanese system.. but there's a point where innovation turns into someone just messing with a good thing because they want to be the next "great idea"..

it doesnt always work that way.

fact is 5 rounds will never happen, how about we leave it at that? the day its even CONSIDERED, lets re-open the thread.
    test
  4. SeeSon

SeeSon New Member

You handle people disagreeing with you poorly...smh. This is a message board in case you forgot. Nothing we discuss on here has any bearing about what an athletic commision does or what a fighting organization does. NOTHING. So whether something is being actively considered or not has no bearing about whether or not we as mma fans can discuss it.
    test
  5. Tha Cunnysmythe

Strikeforce: Nashville.

A truly abhorrent event.

When you take:

1. A top 3 lightweight being exposed
    2. A title changing hands from an exciting established fighter to a hot prospect and
    3. A big upset among two top MW contenders

...and turn it into a fucking boring show, something has gone horribly wrong.
    test
  6. jayoo

jayoo new york representative

i completely agree, but if it's a lame idea than thats another story. the way the mma championship rounds work in america is perfect, its their style of the boxing setup just more exclusive being it's ONLY for championship fights. some debut professional is expected to go 5 full rounds? lets be real, 85% of professionals end up being bums.. boxings new fighters go what 3-5 rounds or some shit? and when you reach that next level you start doing more rounds. its almost the same concept, except like i said its exclusive to championship fights that you go the longer rounds. to get rid of it just sounds stupid to me smh

and theres been people who've trained boxing and done other sports who've said mma is the most tiring thing they've ever trained in or tried doing, if you ask me 3 rounds is almost equivalent to a 10 round boxing match in how much energy is used.. id be interested in seeing what mma fighters themselves think about going 5 rounds every fight
    test
  7. The Nonpareil

The Nonpareil What about me?

As I dyed in the wool fan, I didn't hate that card as much as most. As you pointed out, it created a lot to talk about.

But let's face it, casual fans make or break the sport. They care more about a quick exciting fights than shifts in rankings, eras dying, etc.
    test
  8. Tha Cunnysmythe

I admit, I didn't hate the card either; I enjoy exaggerating. But it didn't really engage me and I didn't enjoy it too much. Once you'd seen the first round of a fight, you'd seen them all. Every fight was devoid of variety.

And let's face it, names make an average fight good. This might be a controversial opinion, but I believe Sonnen-Silva would have been boring as hell if not for the background - The invincible Silva and the shit-talking Sonnen. But given all we know about the two, it was a fascinating fight from start to finish. Strikeforce: Nashville was a card full of upsets among big names and was still dull.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.