5 round fights

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by OurSin, Aug 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OurSin

OurSin lol @ equality

Should be the rule, every fight should be 5 rounds.

Silva lost a 3 round fight tonight, and won in the last minutes of the 5th.

just think how many fights could go in a drastically different direction with 5 rounds instead of 3.

Think of a real fight, you let a wrestler and a jujitsu guy go at it (pause) for an unlimited amount of time. Wrester dominates for the majority of the time in terms of position, not doing any damage but tires himself out towards the end. Jujistu guy catches him in a sub, game over. Cut the time short, wrestler wins by, well lay n pray. (hypothetical of course)

15 minutes is just to damn short for a fight.

Shit i wonder how MMA would differ if they took on boxing type rounds, with 8 to 12 three minute rounds. Would definitely keep the action more intense, fighters would be forced to be in better shape too.
    test
  2. OurSin

OurSin lol @ equality

I mean man, you can see boxers lose 5 rounds before they get the timing of their opponent down then come back and win the fight.
    test
  3. Delinquent

Delinquent lol

rashad would have lost his last two fights if they were five rounds

but i still wouldnt want all fights to be five rounds

imagine having to see guys like john fitch in 5 round fights all the time

no way in hell
    test
  4. Ralph Pootawn

Ralph Pootawn New Member

Shit would be gay as fuck TBH.

Why not 10 round fights instead?

That way fighters will gradually look more and more like marathoners.

That and I ain't trying to watch 5 million years of fights every month.
    test
  5. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

Nah... Look how many people gas out in the second and third. It would take forever to make the cardio jump and we'd be left with like a year of terrible fucking decisions that look like TUF 10 with those talentless HWs.

And I bet we'd get just as many prolonged Lay and Pray decisions as we would submissions.

I think part of MMA's accessibility is that the fights are short and a boring fight will be over soon enough.

Would you suggest that title fights go to 7 or stay at 5? Because I think title fights being longer makes them more special.
    test
  6. jayoo

jayoo new york representative

i read somewhere that some athletic commission sanctioned 5 round fights for non-title bouts as long as the fighters were of championship calibur, so mainly contender fights like nelson/roy and fitch/alves would fall into that category.. not sure what commission or if it actually went through i just remember seein shit about it months ago

other than that though i agree with keeping it 3 rounds, and only 5 for championship fights and contender bouts
    test
  7. Odysseus

Odysseus a marvelous muthafucka

not trying to see 70% of fighters gas out & turn purple during the 4th and 5th

stupid fucking idea

its not boxing for a reason, u knucklehead
    test
  8. Delinquent

Delinquent lol

in b4 a kimbo vs pudzianowski 5 round fight
    test
  9. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

^Why did you have to go there?

It's enough to make any hardcore weep openly.
    test
  10. The Nonpareil

The Nonpareil What about me?

jiu jitsu requires time unless you are really one of the greatest to ever do it. Gracie-Severn would've been Gracie's first ufc loss in a 15 minute fight.

all in all, I don't want 5 round fights, but anything less hurts jiu jitsu.
    test
  11. jayoo

yeah but thats the thing its not a jiu jitsu competition, and honestly id say theres a good amount of fighters right now i dont think could last 5 rounds, more so in the higher weights..

i dont think brock would last 5 rounds, and not even because hes got bad cardio but being that big its hard on the heart to pump that much blood around for 25 minutes of action unless its a boring and slow fight.. same with carwin look at em out of the 1st round, he punched himself out but if he didnt i doubt he'd have went 3 anyways, the amount of punchs he threw a lot of fighters throw within 1-2 rounds, if he cant handle that he wont go long in fights without losing.. boxing is tiring enough if you've never done it or trained to go that long, but add in fighting on the ground and its hard, especially against a wrestler..

3 rounds is definitely more than enough time, 5 rounds makes a championship fight a championship fight.. if they made all fights 5 they would have to lengthen championship bouts.. its supposed to be the longer fight, because if it gets into the championship rounds thats when you see whos really deserving and who isnt, the hard workers from the slackers.
    test
  12. SeeSon

SeeSon New Member

Nah, you're showing your ignorance. Its a great idea because it would even the playing field. Its a well known fact that BJJ guys need more time to work than other grapplers. If you watched the Anderson fight you will see that Sonnen wasn't even in a position to get subbed until the fifth round. As it stands now, all of the rules of American MMA favor wrestlers. The shit is gay as fuck.
    test
  13. SeeSon

SeeSon New Member

If someone doesn't have the cardio to last five rounds, then they will get finished. I'm failing to see the problem.
    test
  14. OurSin

OurSin lol @ equality

But think about it, isn't kinda sad that the actual champion can't make it through a 5 round fight? lol

What you would end up with, is better conditioned atheletes entering the field. I know MMA in the US has the roy nelson fever, but c'mon just think how good the guy would be if he had to actually freaking train his cardio.

Why not weed out guys who can't compete for 25 minutes?

MMA is really the only combat sport i've seen a Championship level fighter, gas and gas in the second or third round. Most boxers train year round and do cardio every day because they know that conditioning is the most important thing. I remember when BJ couldn't go 3 rounds, all the technique and natural talent couldn't save him after a while and he had to step his conditioning up. And as a result we got a better fighter
    test
  15. Odysseus

and if they both gas, it turns into a TUF Heavyweights rerun

nobody wants to see 2 dead bodies fighting
    test
  16. jayoo

you act like boxers havent coasted the final rounds or anything.. sometimes they coast the mid rounds so they have energy to finish out, trust me, not many go out an strike nonstop for 12 rounds, pacman is on another level.

making everything 5 rounds still doesnt change the fact the championship bouts would have to be 7 then and that isn't even close to practical.. championship fights need championship rounds, thats how mma has developed, it's that way for a reason, it works. you act like 3 rounds is so short, i dont think you understand the energy they use out there, especially if it's an exciting fight.. and champions do make it through 5.. brock hasn't been tested, that was my opinion, but name a champion in the ufc right now who hasnt gone the rounds needed? silva just went 5, frankie/bj went 5, gsp goes 5 regularly anymore.. i dont get your point? they are going 5.. it's the people coming up to the 5 round fight that sometimes has trouble, an rightfully so, thats a LONG FIGHT.. them 2 extra rounds is where champions and runner-ups are determined.. i still dont think you understand, maybe you should go try to fight for five 5min rounds even if you had months to prepare yourself, you wont make it.

i hope randy/toney goes on for awhile, watch how fast toney gasses even though hes fought longer rounds in boxing, it's a whole different type of cardio, your not just swinging your arms, and like i said even doin that for 12 rounds causes the majority of boxers to coast at some point in them 12 rounds.
    test
  17. OurSin

OurSin lol @ equality

Why would championship bouts have to be more than 5 rounds?

And if toney gasses it's cause he's old and fat..lol

I don't know, i guess if fans are fine with fight's where dudes lay on dudes for 3 rounds to lame vicotries, and fighters who can't even make it to the 3rd round without gassing good for yall.

just a suggestion, i could really care less anymore tbh
    test
  18. SeeSon

SeeSon New Member

I really disagree with your logic. Saying that championship fights have to be five rounds because that's how MMA has evolved isn't a very good reason to maintain the status quo. We would never have innovation if people thought like that. There is no reason why all fights can't be 5 rounds. If championship fights are five rounds, then there is no reason that all fighters can't prepare for five round fights. If those fighters would gas, then they do not belong in the sport. It would be one thing if no fighter could survive a 5 round fight without gassing, but since we have seen fighters do it, that proves that it is possible for fighters to get to that level of conditioning. If you don't like the idea of 5 round fights for all fights, that's fine, we disagree, but saying that we shouldn't have 5 round fights because of conditioning I just don't see the logic in that. Also, saying that championship fights have to be longer because that's how it has always been (and really its only always been that way with American MMA) isn't a good reason imo.
    test
  19. Odysseus

i'd rather they just give 5 rounds to fights that deserve it

hand pick them beforehand for the sake of a good showing

dont just change the entire rules, because not every fighter in every weight is built like that to be honest... that would be the most retarded shit ever
    test
  20. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

i understand both sides' points of view.

honestly though, i like the current system. 3 rounds is great because it weeds out the extremely unconditioned fighters generally, plus it forces you to adapt faster and become a better fighter. you're working to out-last your opponent as well as out-strategize and out-fight them in 15 minutes. you have to make faster adjustments to their fighting style, and if you can't - then you lose.

so now you're a great fighter, you can go 3 rounds. now you get a championship match and can't last 5 rounds? your fault. every fighter already SHOULD be training like they have to fight for 25 minutes, and if they don't - you're gonna see a lot more carwin-like fights where the person (a la nelson) thinks that because they finish most of their fights standing up, that they can knock everyone out. then they fight the person that can take all the punches and keep going and adapt their style, and suddenly they're not so hot and lose.

this is a good system. people train for 3 rounds and can't go that long, so why give them an opportunity to go even longer? you can either get a human punching bag that gets destroyed for 5 rounds even though he fought well for 1-2, or you can get a conditioned athlete that deserves to fight and maybe makes it 5 rounds of interesting fighting.

check out silva/sonnen. silva got ruined for 4/5 rounds, but due to his conditioning and training, and the length of time, he was able to finally get that opportunity - and i'd say it went that long and he didn't do well kinda because his lack of true competition for so long. he was too cocky from all the easy wins and now he's gonna work on ground defense like crazy so that doesn't happen again. but still, he finished after 5 rounds of gettin taken down and beaten. that's the difference.

i guarantee if that's nelson/brock. after 5 rounds nelson is gonna go pudianowski and just fall down to make it easier.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.