5 favorite sam cooke songs

Discussion in 'The R&B Haven' started by Lee Van McQueen, Jan 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee Van McQueen

Lee Van McQueen ♣aka. Steve Cleef

i was positively spellbound when i was first introduced to sam cooke while watching michael mann's ali... at that moment, a song-searching frenzy was spurred within and i believe he instantly became my all-time favorite soul singer

very, very hard to do since it's virtually impossible to dislike any sam cooke song (some are boring and trite, yes, however there's still that voice!), but here are my fave five:

1. touch the hem of his garment w/ the soul stirrers
    1. a change is gonna come
    - cupid
    - bring it on home (live at the copa)
    - just for you

honorable mentions: bring it on home to me, if i had a hammer (live at the copa), you send me, frankie and johnny, (what a) wonderful world
    test
  2. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

A Change Is Gonna Come
    Lost and Lookin'
    You Send Me
    Summertime
    Mean Old World

Don't you know that he's credited by most critics for being the "inventor of soul music?" I know some people differentiate "soul" from "R&B," but I tend to use them interchangeably at times or make "soul" the conglomerate heading for all black music... but traditionally, "soul" has always been its own subgenre, even distinct from R&B... because when I think "inventor of R&B," I think of Ray Charles... but I guess he can also be considered "soul." Confusing, huh?

Well, here's how AMG defines the two classifications:

Rhythm & Blues

Evolving out of jump blues in the late '40s, R&B laid the groundwork for rock & roll. R&B kept the tempo and the drive of jump blues, but its instrumentation was sparer and the emphasis was on the song, not improvisation. It was blues chord changes played with an insistent backbeat. During the '50s, R&B was dominated by vocalists like Ray Charles and Ruth Brown, as well as vocal groups like the Drifters and the Coasters. Eventually, R&B metamorphosed into soul, which was funkier and looser than the pile-driving rhythms of R&B.

Soul

Soul came to describe a number of R&B-based music styles. From the bouncy, catchy acts at Motown to the horn-driven, gritty soul of Stax/Volt, there was an immense amount of diversity within soul. During the first part of the '60s, soul music remained close to its R&B roots. However, musicians pushed the music in different directions; usually, different regions of America produced different kinds of soul. In urban centers like New York, Philadelphia, and Chicago, the music concentrated on vocal interplay and smooth productions. In Detroit, Motown concentrated on creating a pop-oriented sound that was informed equally by gospel, R&B, and rock & roll. In the South, the music became harder and tougher, relying on syncopated rhythms, raw vocals, and blaring horns. All of these styles formed soul, which ruled the black music charts throughout the '60s and also frequently crossed over into the pop charts.

Then of course, there's funk, disco, doo wop and the regional soul classifications like Philly soul, Memphis soul, Chicago soul... now in the new age, we have new jack, hip hop soul, crunk n' B, etc.

But Sam Cooke inspired a legion of soul AND R&B singers like Bobby Womack, Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder and even Aretha Franklin who said she drew great influence from Cooke. Well, who inspired Cooke? None other than Louis Armstrong... who is probably the most singular vocal influence in all of American pop music. Even Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra give props to Pops.

Why did I write all of this? I don't know... I'm procrastinating from work.
    test
  3. Mask2MyFace2

Mask2MyFace2 Controversial

Bill Withers and Bobby Womack...they get me goin...

yeah..

Sam Cooke definitely A Change Is Gonna Come and You Send Me but I can't really think of anymore off top...(into the archives to refresh my memory)
    test
  4. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

i don't know why you wrote all of that either, kon [funny]. it was edifying though.

thread needs more input!
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.