48÷2(9+3) = 2 or 288?

Discussion in 'Overtime: Off-Topic Discussion' started by Kraynium, Apr 7, 2011.

?

What's 48÷2(9+3) = ?

1. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 288

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Radius

Radius Simplistic-E

if there is a rule there is a answer, and i've stated the rule. anyone who says 288 is just rebelious in nature and don't follow rules. they rob banks and rape bitches and shit like that
    test
  2. Dunk

Dunk FROG JUMP LEAP

This is AGL for the battle community tbh. When people search the equation on Google, this thread is on the first page. Random people might see this, enjoy battle fans calling each other faggots so much that they decide to watch an actual battle.

Ayo Fresco and D-Lor, plug your shit in here and your view counts will soar! Especially you, Lor, people nerdy enough to google this shit'd probably be smart enough to get your bars.

NB: there are only 13 guests right now, but you never know.
    test
  3. GetPaid

GetPaid Well-Known Member

Clearly, the 2 is notation for a function call, like f(9+3). 2(12)=f(12)=0, and therefore, the answer here is undefined, as you can't divide by 0.

I can't believe people don't know that dividing by zero isn't possible. Fucking American school system.
    test
  4. proteam40

proteam40 god speed, centipede

Oh god not this again. It's multiplication AND division, it's been shown 50 thousand fucking times that one doesn't get preference over the other thus you do the equation from left to right. Read through the thread, there's multiple references to this.

I don't even know what the answer is anymore, but I know some people still don't know how the order of operations works.
    test
  5. TheAak

TheAak Well-Known Member

The post above me (or below me, depending on your settings) pretty much stopped me from having to reply, Radius ... Good choice in name, by the way

lol dunk might be on to something
    test
  6. reznick

reznick New Member

damn I was hoping there would be a definite answer by now, and this is still up in the air?
    test
  7. Bleach...

Bleach... Put me in your markers...

Not sure if this has been raised, because thread is tldr tbh, but the main thing with this problem is that people are trying to apply algebraic conventions to arithmetic.

It's 288 btw.
    test
  8. Ribo Nuke

Ribo Nuke Audiodidact

The true answer is 17.397
    test
  9. KayTofu

KayTofu New Member

The problem i think most mathematicians are having may be that mathematics are some of the few things you can actually prove beyond a doubt. So mathematicians are the type who believe that every question has a correct answer. I'm not sure (at all) but the problem may be that those rules are arbitrary. Unlike, for instance geometry, which can be literally proven to be correct, these rules probably have no proofs. So mathematicians can argue as long as they want, as this is probably just a kink in the system they use to solve problems, and not a description of the system the problem inhabits.
    test
  10. KayTofu

KayTofu New Member

A simpler way of saying this might be that the systems they use make two different problems.
    They're being asked completely different questions, they're both on the other hand right in their given system.
    Reminds me of the problems with General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics (sort of)
    test
  11. Bleach...

Bleach... Put me in your markers...

You're equating an error in peoples interpretation of order of operations in a simple piece of arithmetic to general relativity?

Wow.

It's literally as simple as a÷b*c =/= a÷(b*c)
    test
  12. KayTofu

KayTofu New Member

I don't think you quite get the problem.
    Lor, it seems to me put it very well.
    test
  13. THE CRUNK GHOST

THE CRUNK GHOST 3PEATERS

hold up... there's an order????? why didn't anyone bring this up ffs

shut down the thread and hall of shame it, radius figured out the answer and everyone who said 288 needs to stop being 'some dumb asses'
    test
  14. Tradish

Tradish illest alive

its written in an algebraic convention, find me an arithmetic problem explaining pemdas that has a value sitting on the brackets.

I bet you only find this form 2*(8+3)

I know to multiply through the brackets from algebra and that everything moves as one term u dont split up the variables. Other people see that and all they remember is that theyr'e multiplying.
    test
  15. Jammin' Jobus

Jammin' Jobus S A D B O Y S

it's hilarious how stupid this question is.

the entire crux of the issue is whether the division sign implies a set of brackets.

THAT'S IT!!! and there is dissagreement. I think technically the answer is probably 288 tho, the way that it's written.
    test
  16. seattlebattle12

seattlebattle12 aka lil ill & dagawd100

it's amazing how big this problem is....every big forums has hundreds of posts dedicated to this. i feel like a war is going to be started over this soon

who started it? the misc?
    test
  17. pryceless

pryceless King of the place

(48/2)*(9+3)=288

48/(2*(9+3)=2

Now close thread.
    test
  18. D-Lor

D-Lor Well-Known Member

[youtube]tz7EFddR6w8[/youtube]
    Hey lurkers. while you're in here check out my battle

P.S. It's pretty clear that the answer is 288. The parenthesis does not change the order of operations, there is no "implied" parenthesis rule.

YouTube - Order of Operations

check around 7 mins in. You can combine the like terms, then you proceed left to right.
    test
  19. Revo Minded

Revo Minded Your wife dreams of me

Ok from what I've been reading and the many calculators ive used, the answer is split up based on how you PERCEIVE the problem. So whoever wrote the problem in the first place is a faggot and would get fired in a quick second for making such an ambiguous problem.

There problem solved, no one is wrong.
    test
  20. Tradish

Tradish illest alive

scroll down to the end of the page.

The Order of Operations: More Examples
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.