48÷2(9+3) = 2 or 288?

Discussion in 'Overtime: Off-Topic Discussion' started by Kraynium, Apr 7, 2011.

?

What's 48÷2(9+3) = ?

1. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 288

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TradeMark310

TradeMark310 Tunk vs Lux

I think I get the problem- it's the way it's written.

I think if it were 48 / 2(12) then the answer is two. However, this one is written with (9+3), and this is what's throwing it off. People are adding the 9 and 3 and getting 2(12) which you would then assume is 2 times 12 and needs to be done first because it's in a parenthesis, but I don't think that is correct.

But the (9+3) is like a place holder. I don't fully get it, but if I'm close can someone confirm at least a little?

The fact that it's (9+3) and not (12) is somehow the place where everything is getting fucked up.

So really it's 48 / 2 X 12, which is 288.
    test
  2. serge dot T

serge dot T Shotgun Serge

Theres nothing wrong with how it's written, the problem is with who is interpreting it and how they're doing it.
    test
  3. THE CRUNK GHOST

THE CRUNK GHOST 3PEATERS

lol dude, take a breath, u seem mad

it was you who said this:

and if u don't realize that this notation can be taken 2 different ways, after 2 CALCULATORS have given different results, then you are what's wrong with the education system blah blah blah etc etc
    test
  4. TradeMark310

TradeMark310 Tunk vs Lux

From what I remember, math at this level isn't really up for debate. There is either a right or wrong way, we aren't talking about some theorem here. I was gung-ho 2 until I read a lot of the reasons why it is 288. Ultimately the only real wrong thing seems to be how are teachers taught us.

Just to make an argument: your teacher probably told you Chris Columbus discovered America. Do you still believe that is true just because you learned it in an elementary school?
    test
  5. serge dot T

I'm very mad, actually. Mad at how stupid you are and even more mad at whoever's at fault.

Did you not read what I just posted? I'll repost it for you, you stupid, stupid man.

What you fucking idiots don't understand is that X and (), though both signifying multiplication, DO NOT EQUATE TO THE SAME PROCESS.
    test
  6. serge dot T

That's because you're dumb too, though. There's no way around it, no other way to solve the problem. Smmfh. One last time, then I just give up.

48÷2(9+3) =

48÷2(12) =

48÷24 = 2. THAT'S IT.

Had it been 48÷2 x (9+3) =, than YES, IT WOULD BE 288 because it would go

48÷2 x (9+3) =

48÷2 x 12=

24 x 12 = 288

BUT ITS NOT.
    test
  7. THE CRUNK GHOST

THE CRUNK GHOST 3PEATERS

bro would you holler at that calculator too
    test
  8. TradeMark310

TradeMark310 Tunk vs Lux

Forget it man, his 8th grade teacher told him something so it has to be the hands down truth.
    test
  9. Tradish

Tradish illest alive

I have to ride with crunk. I def dont think this is enuff to label someone stupid.

I was only trolling the math major dude cause nobody asked him that shit.
    test
  10. JerzisGod

JerzisGod Wavy Jones

test
  11. TheAak

TheAak Well-Known Member

nothing is an exact science ... cause there's no way to absolutely prove the exactness of that which determines exactness

for example, if this celestial object (forget what it is, a planet, I think) doesn't follow the exact projected trajectory, then the laws of physics will be proven wrong within the next 30 or some odd years

also, Light seems to move as a particle and wave in the right conditions

Finally, Ambiguity is a motherfucker ... This equation is simply exposing a flaw in something that pretty much seemed perfectly logical

I don't understand why you call eachother idiots and argue over something neither of you can definitively prove

funny how a thread about math (and science) reads similar to people of opposing faiths arguing about God (and religion)

damn
    test
  12. TheAak

TheAak Well-Known Member

lol I think serge has too much FAITH in the system
    test
  13. D-Lor

D-Lor Well-Known Member

I agree with this guy
    test
  14. D-Lor

D-Lor Well-Known Member

This is my main gripe with militant atheists. They think religion is CAUSING these problems. No, the propensity for human beings to behave the way they have in threads like these is the root, religion is just a symptom of that. People will never run out of things to hate others for.
    test
  15. Tradish

Tradish illest alive

how could b AND c be right?

if C is any kind of right that is saying that it trumps the other notation pemdas or bedmas.

anyways bringing religion up just jump this bitch 20 more pages.
    test
  16. kniteshift

kniteshift That ain't my alphabet b

test
  17. TheAak

TheAak Well-Known Member

excellent point ... I concur, wholeheartedly
    test
  18. TheAak

TheAak Well-Known Member

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function" - f scott fitzgerald

basically that ^^^ if you will

and if you won't: "There's no wrong way to eat a reese's" but to a lesser extent
    test
  19. Tradish

Tradish illest alive

[​IMG]
    test
  20. Radius

Radius Simplistic-E

P.lease E.xcuse M.y D.ear A.unt S.ally AKA...

Parenthesis
    Exponents
    Multiplication
    Division
    Addition
    Subtraction

the answer is 2, yall some dumb asses. fuck who interprets it, if you go by the universal rule of math its 2 period. 2(12) is multiplication and it comes before division, the exponent is the parenthesis aka the first thing you do. then multiply 2(12) THEN divide....smh at how many of you people said 288
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.