48÷2(9+3) = 2 or 288?

Discussion in 'Overtime: Off-Topic Discussion' started by Kraynium, Apr 7, 2011.

?

What's 48÷2(9+3) = ?

1. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 288

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THE CRUNK GHOST

THE CRUNK GHOST 3PEATERS

yea that's true
    test
  2. fresco 5

fresco 5 Well-Known Member

this technically... like I said if you're being literal with it, the answer would come out to 288 because it should've been bracketed. You can't always assume that they meant for them to be together. But for all practical purposes, we almost always DO assume that things expressed this way are together.

I do feel like if it was something I had to turn in for a grade, I would've put 2 and not felt bad about it... but I can see how 288 is right but I don't like it.
    test
  3. TradeMark310

TradeMark310 Tunk vs Lux

So basically this is a type of question to show how bad public education is, right?
    test
  4. TheProle

TheProle Pls go, Milhouse.

I still can't believe that people are voting or defending two. If you've read half this thread you'd realize you were wrong.
    test
  5. KNoXvillE

KNoXvillE Str8 MAjor LeAf FuNKy!

test
  6. serge dot T

serge dot T Shotgun Serge

test
  7. Tradish

Tradish illest alive

the bb.com thread that have this topic is hilarious with the pictures and people being called faggots, I wish I was in there when it started.
    test
  8. drewthetruth

drewthetruth ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Its 2 faggots
    test
  9. angel p

angel p ++++++

test
  10. serge dot T

The answer is 2, though. Anyone that believes that dividing and multiplying are equal is a true moron. It's that simple. They can argue, google and bitch all they want. The fact remains that noone with a higher level of education (or well versed autodidact) would consider 288 as an answer and insist it with vehemence unless they needed to be right more than they actually believed that they were right.

The US and canadian education systems are complete and utter failures. I wish that teachers were better at their jobs (and better paid, I guess) so that the idiots that roam this board were paying more attention in class instead of trying to be a rapper when they grew up. The future is bleak.
    test
  11. serge dot T

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

You multiply 2(12) before any division can take place. Period. There's no way around that. You were right the first time and let these idiots confuse you.
    test
  12. Tradish

Tradish illest alive

c'mon what does that have to with teachers and school systems if u in that bitch pulling down C's n D's.

not even talking about this thread, in general I always hear people blame school systems for the level of their children.
    test
  13. serge dot T

If a teacher gives enough of a fuck, the students learn. This is a fact. If the teachers an underpaid, under-insured professional that's still paying off his/her own school debt, the person is uninspired to begin with. This is the problem to begin with.

Schools just try to get kids to score test-passing grades so they keep their budget. And now they're trying to cut teachers' salaries even more, which only means that more idiots are going to walk the streets thinking that the answer to this question is 288.
    test
  14. chrishansen

chrishansen Well-Known Member

"If the teachers an underpaid, under-insured professional that's still paying off his/her own school debt, the person is uninspired to begin with. This is the problem to begin with."

This isn't universally true in the slightest tho and you are 100 pct wrong to have this stance tbh
    test
  15. chrishansen

chrishansen Well-Known Member

Stockton, California has the highest paid high school teachers in the nation; Stockton, California doesn't have one high school in the top 100 rated high schools in the nation. California pays their high school teachers, on average, the highest amount in the nation and California is the 45th rated state in terms of high school diploma percentages.

Texas is last in that category and the Texas board of education is the single most important board of education in the United States.

The fault for the lack of solid education in the U.S. lies with the education governing bodies, not with the individual teachers. Only stupid ass republican faggots would find fault with the teachers and not the institution.

Teachers make a pretty fine salary and have a nice, cozy job too with health benefits and the like. Being a teacher >>>>

for the most part

Don't let Wisconsin get ya twisted.
    test
  16. serge dot T

Cali's also billions in the hole. Higher wage doesn't equate to higher quality of living. Same as NYC. Certain institutions mismanage their budget, this brought on by stupid people that handle it. Republicans are the idiots that want to cut teacher salaries because they believe that teachers are overpaid, over benefited and really do get 3 months off.
    test
  17. Grayson

Grayson New Member

Why the fuck is this so popular all of a sudden.
    test
  18. THE CRUNK GHOST

THE CRUNK GHOST 3PEATERS

i'm starting to think you're an actual troll or a retard, but just so i'm sure i'm understanding what you're saying, please solve this equation

8 ÷ 4 x 2 =

is the answer 4 or 1?
    test
  19. Dunk

Dunk FROG JUMP LEAP

Wow...
    test
  20. serge dot T

If it were 8 ÷ 4 (2), like the original equation, than 1. But it's not, therefore it's 4.

What you fucking idiots don't understand is that X and (), though both signifying multiplication, DO NOT EQUATE TO THE SAME PROCESS.

Jesus. When you see a bracket, you simplify it until it's gone, THEN go back from left to right. You don't leave it there and treat it like it's a multiplication sign because it's a complicated expression to begin with and you cannot carry on the operation while it sit's there.

I cannot fucking believe that I'm actually explaining 8th grade math to people.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.