4 more days, people! 4 MORE DAYS! 99 1/2 HRS ET!

Discussion in 'Movies, Entertainment & Various Music Genres' started by Brahman, Sep 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LiQuiD6

LiQuiD6 Left hook Justice

yes......i already got this on my list.......tomorrow....suncoast....the dvd is mine
    test
  2. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

yes! tomorrow is the big day!

i sincerely hope everyone who takes a chance on this ends up liking it

please don't be mad at me if you don't lol... be mad at all the other critics

i'm sure a few of you been wanting to see this even without my recommendation, so..
    test
  3. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

[chicka] happy 9/19 everyone!

what a beautiful shiny slipcase! wasn't expecting that

i picked it up @ best buy along with the two films below which came in a 2 for $20 offer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    test
  4. TruKaos

TruKaos I'll Box Your Ears

^ i got those as well, along with Syriana, Hostel, Wolf Creek & Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

i had to go to Target to get The Proposition though.
    test
  5. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

YO can I rent this movie? Or like do I have to buy it?

I don't buy movies, I rent them and burn them onto other cds. LMAO!
    test
  6. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

please buy it, menaz!

you've said before that you're a western head, so every little sale helps the movement (more success = more films of the same ilk being made)... renting it wouldn't be bad either since rental success is looked at, but the purchases make more of a statement

yo trukaos, have you seen kiss kiss, bang bang? if yes, what did you think? i was thinking about picking that one up too
    test
  7. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

This was one of those Tommy Lee Jones films I was talking about... it's not bad. I wouldn't call it a classic, though.

I saw that in the video store a few times, but I hesitated on renting it once I saw that Paul Walker was in it... tell me if it's good or not.
    test
  8. Konscious

Konscious Resident Sage

Brahman, how many movies do you own?

I already have a huge CD-buying habit... I buy DVD's sporadically... it's all about the replay value... I can listen to classic CDs over and over, anywhere and anytime... while movies are more of a sit-down experience and I find it much harder to seek out and find worthwhile movies that I'll watch more than a few times... so I usually just rent.

Why don't you drop a top 100 list or something?
    test
  9. the Prince

the Prince New Member

[​IMG]

last copy on the shelf at best buy!
    test
  10. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

good shit!

mine was the last of two @ the 2nd one i visited

i don't think any location stocked very many, but a lot of people must have seen and know about it to snatch it up so quickly
    test
  11. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

about 250

definitely feel you on that

i've been meaning to slow down my buying habits

i don't think i'll be buying too many in 2007... the leone special editions that will be released are a must, but i'm gonna cut back

maybe

i'd like for others to do it too if i did it, but it's kinda time-consuming
    test
  12. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

haha, i thought i was gonna cut back my buying-habits too, but i ended up buying more, lack of discipline + seeing too many good movies to pass up.

I keep a running top 50, but it's getting too hard to keep it at 50, too many classics are getting cut.

anyway, here's my list as it stands right now...obviously there are hundreds and thousands of movies i haven't seen so it's by no means definitive or a final version. [pauline kael's "5001 nights at the movies" keeps me reminded of just how far i have to go before this list can be official]

2001: ASO (Kubrick, 1968)
    8 1/2 (Fellini, 1963)
    Amadeus (Forman, 1984)
    Annie Hall (Allen, 1977)
    Chinatown (Polanski, 1974)
    Citizen Kane (Welles, 1941)
    Do the Right Thing (Lee, 1989)
    Double Indemnity (Wilder, 1944)
    Dr Strangelove (Kubrick, 1964)
    Duck Soup (McCarey, 1933....but really, it's all about the Marx Bros)
    The Godfather (Coppola, 1972)
    Hara-Kiri (Kobayashi, 1962)
    A Hard Day's Night (Lester, 1964)
    High Noon (Zinnemann, 1952)
    Jaws (Spielberg, 1975)
    King of Hearts (de Brocca, 1967)
    The Magnificent Ambersons (Welles, 1942)
    Manhattan (Allen, 1979)
    Miller's Crossing (Coen, 1990)
    The Miracle of Morgan's Creek (P. Sturges, 1944)
    My Fair Lady (Cukor, 1964)
    North by Northwest (Hitchcock, 1959)
    One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest (Forman, 1975)
    The Ox-Bow Incident (Wellman, 1943)
    The Passion of Joan of Arc (Dreyer, 1928)
    Peeping Tom (Powell, 1960)
    Ran (Kurosawa, 1985)
    Rashomon (Kurosawa, 1950)
    Rear Window (Hitchcock, 1954)
    The Red Shoes (Powell, 1948)
    Requiem for a Heavyweight (Nelson, 1962)
    Scenes from a Marriage (Bergman, 1973)
    Seven Samurai (Kurosawa, 1957)
    The Seventh Seal (Bergman, 1957)
    Shadow of a Doubt (Hitchcock, 1943)
    The Shining (Kubrick, 1980)
    Silence of the Lambs (Demme, 1991)
    Singin in the Rain (Donen, 1952)
    Solaris (Tarkovsky, 1972)
    Some Like It Hot (Wilder, 1959)
    The Sting (G.R. Hill, 1973)
    Sullivan's Travels (P. Sturges, 1941)
    Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans (Murnau, 1927)
    Sunset Boulevard (Wilder, 1950)
    Tender Mercies (Beresford, 1983)
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1955)
    Viridiana (Bunuel, 1961)
    Wild Strawberries (Bergman, 1957)
    Wings of Desire (Wenders, 1987)
    You Can't Take It With You (Capra, 1938)

i've kept off non-fiction/documentary and animated films for the sake of not sacrificing any more classics.
    test
  13. LiQuiD6

thats a great movie.......
    test
  14. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

Brahman, I just got finished watch this movie. It is absoultly senseless, But the opening sceen and death sceens made the movie. Otherwise, What a complete waste of time.

I'm mean, The plot was stupid. His younger brother I guess raped a girl yet they never really explained if he did or didn't. And then that general guy expected Guy Pierce to
    kill his older brother(who I guess really raped that girl) inorder save his self and his younger brothers life, then the general becomes a nice guy out of nowhere and wants to save the boy from a jesus christ flogging, yet perviously knock that kid in the face with the end of his gun handle. Not to mention, was shooting to kill all in the opening sceen.

Pointless movie. Not a very entertianing movie. But I agree the death sceens made it watchable for one time around. The dialogue was pretty bad and boring, I was expecting deadwood kinda of dialouge. Or a moive like the good the bad and the ugly, Where its all done with the eyes.

Major let down!

But on a side note, Lucky number sleven is a great movie, If you can get past the lucy liu mag ryan impression and predictable ending. Bruce willis, has never let me down.
    test
  15. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

eh, sorry you didn't like it, menaz... i tried lol! i personally think it's a great, great film that will stand the test of time and represent the rebirth of a new kind of western. don't heap all of your disappointment on me either. look at all of the critics coming in behind me to champion it, and TONS of people over at the rottentomatoes forum have it in their five best films of the year.

most of the criticisms you've written are of the kind that i hate to see. there's nothing "stupid" about the plot. characters may do things you don't understand or think are senseless, but that doesn't make the plot stupid. it makes the characters different from you. i see people down movies talking about "oh, i hated so-and-so, he was such an idiot... i didn't get why he blah blah blah". that's no reason to not like a film...

you missed the point of the general's character... he was at the center of a changing civilization and spearheading a reformation of the land, and this undoubtedly brings stress leading to impulsive actions that contradict his principles. the gunwhipping of young mikey at the beginning was to send a message to charley about how serious he was. he knew he wasn't going to kill him with that, so how can you say him doing it means he doesn't want to ultimately save his life and stop arthur who he knows is the main catalyst of the gang's treacheries? and, of course at the beginning he's going to shoot back when he's being shot at. for the time being, he was protecting himself, but he wanted to do all he could to apprehend them and get the info about arthur. killing them would have defeated that purpose.

pointless movie? i disagree. themes abound even if they're not explicit.

not a very entertaining movie? perhaps. that's all subjective. i found entertainment in the cinematography, music, acting (especially john hurt's character), and the overall mood of the film

and, your expectations of deadwood dialogue and tgtbtu similarities are what i was hoping you wouldn't have LOL. that's the problem with hyping up films, and i'm never going to hype any other films the way i have the proposition and city of god. people invariably think of other films they've seen and think of as great and expect it to be the same way.
    test
  16. LiQuiD6

great film....the cinematography was great...

one of my fav characters was the bounty hunter......

i disagree with it being pointless...its pretty clear whats going on....the captain essentially had good intentions but the townsfolk were pressing for an early and quick resolution to give them thier sense of "justice".....had some very deep workings going on behind the plot between the conflict of right...wrong...the idea of justice and at what cost do the innocent suffer in order to bring that idea of "justice".....

mikey really wasnt the "evil" his brother is... he was "evil" by association....

i dont even really wanna get any deeper without giving it all away...but brahman is right...theres TONS of underlying themes.....

this could have been a silent film and it would still have its impact with all the great cinematography and directing.....

graet film
    test
  17. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

i'll come back tomorrow to discuss, but this was a great picture.....good call brah
    test
  18. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

I read what you said, but I still see the movie for what it was Boring and pointless.
    There was nothing to this movie that hit home with me. And the generals wife is one
    boring actress, She always bores me in ever movie I see her in.

I can take a movie like fight club And get so many different lessons and ways of thinking out of it everytime. This movie on the other hand had terrible dialogue it was just pointless, boring, cinematography. Nothing intellectual or close to being considered a spaghetti western.

It was also Anticlimatic as well. I think the Anticlimatic ending in kill bill 2 works, but in the proposition it didn't.

I keept an open mind other wise I wouldn't have rented it, So don't insult my intelligence by saying I didn't get the movie when I clearly got it, The point I was making is I didn't find anything special about it.

to each his own! So in MY opinion, Not a crap movie, but not a very watchable either.

meaning once was enough! You over hyped it.
    test
  19. Brahman

Brahman Mel Van Peebles

i didn't say you didn't get the film... i said you showed you didn't get the point of the general's character when you called the plot "stupid" using his conflicting actions as support.

calling it "boring" is one thing (though i highly disagree), but calling it "pointless" and "unintellectual" is ridiculous... it's not a film that spills all of its philosophies verbosely like a fight club but rather presents them through its situations and forces the viewer to think about what he would do in each given characters place. imo, it provokes a lot of thought about the doling out of justice, changing face of civilization, the love of family vs. the love of community, etc.

and, even if it weren't "intellectual", so what? all art doesn't have to be intellectual to be good. sometimes it just is what it is... a great, authentic depiction of a slice of life in mankind's history somewhere in the world. may not be exciting, or full of people who have a lot to say and experiences to share, but that doesn't mean a great film can't be made out of it. and, the proposition clearly proved that.

i could go on and on, but it's silly to argue about this. i can't force you to like it as much as i think you should lol! it's a film that definitely requires the viewer to be taken by its vibe and atmosphere to get the full effect. otherwise, you're looking at it sterilely and analyzing plot bits and wondering "where's the meat?" rather than enjoying its poetic menace...

ah well, let's end it. the proposition is a great film that will stand the test of time in my eyes and many others... it wasn't that good to you. cool.

glad i could be of some service *tips hat*

did you buy it?
    test
  20. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

The movie takes place within a span of 9 days, I seriously doubt the general had a turn of heart in 9 days. It's a character flaw, But the actor was good. Even his own wife had more balls them him.

That isn't intellectual though, That is a proposition! LOL. never once did you not get the feeling he didn't want to kill his brother or that it was a HARD decision to make, only thing he was waiting for was the RIGHT MOMENT to kill him. And that anticipation went out the window because of the boring, long draged out pointless sceens of dialogue. Unlike clerks this movie couldn't pull that kind of speciality off, nor could it stand up against fight club in the realm of viewing pleasure. Every sceen in fight club is thought provoking, the fact he was really talking to himself in every sceen and answering himself is mind blowing when you think about it. Or that pictures of brad pit keept poping up, as if you were seeing how mental illness starts.

So what? I spent $2.50, so your gonna hear what I think about it.

so you agree this movie is intellectually some bad art?

What I am saying is a great movie could have been made out of it but wasn't. That is why I am pissed off. I mean, he nolonger needed to keep the proposition, His brother was dead he knew he was dead.

He should have killed everyone, especial the general, who he told in the begining you touch him again and I'll kill you. Well, he might not of touched him again, but he sure didn't save him nor did the snitching wife either. Duke, should have collected his revenge on everyone. I was expecting triple crosses, like a game of death/sleven type of movie, only western style. All I got was constant whinning and whispers of boring dialogue with a few good kill sceens.

Not arguing, having a conversation. You argue i'm trying to tell the didn't view point. I got the VIBE- drawn out, slow, repeat. atmospehere- It feelt dirty. I'm trying to tell you the poetic menace wasn't good enough for me. I needed more, alots more. I have the brain of quentin tarantino when it comes to hyped movies.

easily forgettible film, good one timer, nothing more.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.