!!! 35 W Bridge collapses into Mississippi River at the tail end of rush hour !!!

Discussion in 'The Alley' started by Nitsuj™, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nitsuj™

Nitsuj™ We Are The Resistance

Holy SHIT!
    test
  2. Nitsuj™

(WCCO) Minneapolis The Interstate 35W Mississippi River bridge near University Avenue has collapsed into the river and onto businesses underneath the highway.

Both the northbound and southbound lanes of 35W are lying in the Mississippi River.

There are multiple cars in the river and a couple cars on fire. According to one witness, there was a school bus full of children on the bridge.

Cars are still on the bridge.

There was no immediate word on injuries, but dozens of rescue vehicles were there. Divers were also in the water.

Tons of concrete have collapsed and people are injured. Survivors are being carried up the riverbank.

Some people are stranded on parts of the bridge that aren't completely in the water.

A tractor-trailer is on fire at the collapse scene.

"I thought it was just construction going on ... it was a free fall all the way to the ground," said one person who was on the bridge at the time. "Thank God I was wearing my seat belt. The only thing I was hit was the steering wheel."

According to that same witness it was bumper to bumper traffic when the bridge collapsed.

Some cars are still precariously perched on the bridge. Sections of the bridge are mangled, some are pointing up in the air and some are in the river.

"My truck got completely torn in half," said Gary Bavanaugh, who was on the bridge when it collapsed. "The bridge started shaking and it went down fast."

Bavanaugh said he was headed northbound on I-35W when he heard a huge rumbling and he saw a huge cloud of white dust as the bridge collapsed. He had his seatbelt on and said if he hadn't, his head would have gone through the windshield.

Bavanaugh said a school bus full of children was ahead of him. He got on the bus and helped children, who he estimated to be 8-12 years old, off the bus and off the bridge.

"It is just horrific," said witness Marilyn Franzen, who saw the bridge collapse. Franzen said she saw a school bus that managed to stop before the going over the edge of the bridge that she said was carrying 20-30 children.

According to witnesses, cars are crushed and mangled under the bridge where it collapsed onto the shore of the river. Street signs also crushed cars.

People are being sent to Hennepin County Medical Center which is very close to the scene of the collapse.

A maintenance project began about nine months ago repairing potholes and other concrete on the bridge. According to a spokesperson from the Mn-DOT, there was no work on the actual structure under the bridge.

Stay tuned to WCCO.com and WCCO-TV for more information on this breaking news story.
    test
  3. Nitsuj™

test
  4. ThisMiss

ThisMiss Guest

OMgggggggg =(
    test
  5. Cella Dwella

Cella Dwella I Love It

were u in the area when it went down? lol
    test
  6. Nitsuj™

nah i'm about 100 miles south lol..

it's national news tho.. check fox news and shit
    test
  7. ThisMiss

ThisMiss Guest

This is crazy, I'm always soooo paranoid about things like this, engineering disasters...
    test
  8. Nitsuj™

test
  9. Nitsuj™

peep that video stream... shit is insane...!!!!!!
    test
  10. WIkidd

WIkidd always movin up

i know i live in the twin cities, its hard to call people right now, all the lines are like held up. i just crossed that bridge yesterday to take my mans sister to the airport...its unbelievable....im lucky.
    test
  11. Nitsuj™

somebody's construction company bout to go bankrupt along with their insurers hahaha
    test
  12. Nitsuj™

I've used that bridge way too much
    test
  13. WIkidd

WIkidd always movin up

My phone keeps ending my calls before theyre even made, and im wondering if this has anything to do with it, i was tryin to call my girl who lives up that way cuz shes got 4 sons between 5 and 10.......and it wasnt goin thru, but shes all good...thank god lol
    test
  14. WIkidd

WIkidd always movin up

oh forreal nitju??? u live up round here or what?
    test
  15. WIkidd

WIkidd always movin up

Yea And No Shit, What A Waste Of Tax Money...pay Taxes Have Your Roads Collapse And Your Children In Danger And Hell Throw A Few Lives In There Also>
    test
  16. identity-X

identity-X No Talent Assclown

tragic

what do you do when you're approaching the bridge or just crossed it and you see a bridge with hundreds of cars on in just collapse

I'd think i was dreaming
    test
  17. Superman70

Superman70 edited

I'd probably shit on myself.
    test
  18. Purple Haze

Purple Haze pop warner hof

Wait, the mississippi river goes into minnesota?

Since when?
    test
  19. Nitsuj™

I live in mankato. I got peeps in the 612. I drive up there a lot on the weekends

went to the paid dues show last night... fucking ill by the way
    test
  20. Nitsuj™

no fool, not going into... that mufucka STARTS in minnesota hahahaha
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.