3000 gt aftermarket

Discussion in 'Car & Audio' started by SevenEightOne, Oct 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SevenEightOne

SevenEightOne New Member

lately ive my eye set on the 3k GT for a number of reason besides a beastmode TT 6 with 320 its got AWD which comes in handy for the weather conditons of new england and its pretty damn nice looking but im in question of the amount of quality performance aftermarket parts for this car since it isnt realy that popular a car (idk why). so im just tryin to figure out what the aftermarket supply is like for this car, any info is appreciated.
    test
  2. Snikka

Snikka Vision Action Execution

lol @ beast mode.

TWIN TURBO v6 only putting down 320whp, does that include drivetrain loss?

rofl. I bet the maintenance on those is somthing like a phenomenon. and the aftermarket is probably close to non-existant unless you wanna spend big bucks.

Props to Pontiac Firebird for having one more star than the 3000 GT by JD power and assocaites in OVERALL mechanical quality in 1999.
    test
  3. Tigre

Tigre Ax Me About Ebonics

Not sure what is funny.. a 3.0l V6 with twin 15g turbo's the size of a teenager's fist.. that made 320 hp.. or a 5.1ltr V8 that only made 320hp.. hmm..

But anyway, that is not whp since it is an AWD car. So drivetrain loss has to be about 20%. But funny thing is, since the last yr this car was made in 99.. if you compare it to say a 99 LS1, it was smidge faster. Also had 4 wheel steering and a nice interior. Overall the car had both interior and exterior good looks.

The aftermarket is fine on this car. You can always get Apex'i, Greddy, and so forth for this car. It is a TT car for god's sake. There is a female with a 500awhp 3000GT. A BPU Vr4' is fast.. easily a12 second car.

Now the reason it is not popular...It is not popular because it competed against the Supra, RX7 and 300ZXTT.. that is why. Oh yeah and it was heavy as fuck (the VR4 was) and as said before competition was just too much for it. Of course out of the hole the car is a beast, thus the stock 0-60 times under 5 seconds. From a roll the car suffers as it should, but still not a bad car overall.. just in terms of lost but not forgotten imports.. it falls short of the Supra and the FD3.
    test
  4. Snikka

*5.7 liter. and thats 320 Rwhp.

and the vr4 started at $44.6k in their 99' year MSRP. so it better be a SMIDGE faster for twin turbo AWD car to have a slight edge with 14,000 more dollars into the car.. bear in mind what 14k into any stock ls1 gets you in overall mods. theyd probably have started with better shocks.

unless you are Kraylen and its a 95' has over 90k miles will it definately be faster than a mild B0lt-on ls1

I wasn't even suggesting he buy an fbody.. but good luck finding a lowish mileage great condition vr4... I'd be scared to buy a pre-00' twin turbo car over 80k miles. they look sweet if you find a nice one but a mitsubishi thats rare and expensive to own/maintain, and barely faster than a stock pre-01' ls1.

now I dont know what this dude is looking to spend....

for example a 22 y/o guy i know just sold his pewter 99' z28 ls1 with a lid, 3500 stall torque converter + tranny cooler, headers and custom true duals, chrome stock wheels 64k miles for $10,700 (a complete steal), ran a 12.6 1/4 before. great condition too, daily driver for sure. thats a great deal if you ask me rather than a high mileage vr4.

within a 500 mile radius of my home zip code, the lowest mileage 98-99' VR4's i could find were two: 46k miles on a 98' going for $39,900 and 30k on a 99' going for $47,000. hell someone had a 95' with 55k miles for $29k. so again.. therein lies the challenge.
    test
  5. Snikka

test
  6. Tigre

Wait 320rwhp from the factory..dyno sheet.. please. I have yet to see that..so please provide one. Cause then I would be pissed if I bought a LS1 Hawk, when they are pushing 315-320rwhp.. why spend the extra money..hmm

which means damn.. what a reliable and great resale value on a car that is now 7 years old... Can't get a resale like that on a domestic..EVER.

The car cost so much, cause it offer so much. IT was capable of handling..which we know nothing in 99 domestic wise besides a C5 could do.. and it offered an interior in which NO domestic sports car/coupe could ever do.

All it takes for a VR4 to run mid 12's is a BCC and exhaust... done.. no problem. Why is it scare you to buy a pre 00 TT, when you wouldn't be scared to buy a pre 00 Trans AM. Since when was a Trans am reliable. The only difference between the two is that it is cheaper to fix..big whoop.

And if he wants a VR4, he could buy a Stealth TT, exact same car, except the interior is different.
    test
  7. Snikka

yeah it offers a lot.. go for it.. I honestly just like these little arguments.

thats exactly right.. WHY spend the extra money?? I said the same shit.

it depends on the year of your ls1... because the 98-00' were rated at 305rwhp on the formula/trans ams, ws6 at 320 and the firehawks were rated at 327 and in 01/02 the TA/formula was rated at 310, ws6 at 320 and the firehawk at 330 (Camaro SS was 335).

but anyone with ls1 knowledge will tell you theres NO DIFFERENCE and they were underrated.. whats the major difference between a firehawk and a trans am??? suspension (slp bilsteins), hood, wheels.. thats it man. the only MAJOR difference is in 01 they introduced the ls6 intake to the ls1. otherwise, you really think RAM AIR makes that big of a difference?? by adding a lid and a ground ram air kit I get basically the same result, sure i get some better throttle response and maybe 10-15 horses dependant on rpms and speed, but I been on ls1 sites for at least two years now reading this same argument. and largely there is no argument. an ls1 is an ls1.

the hawk is just rare.. thats it.. bottom line.. just an SLP optioned trans am. so it gets more respect and its rated higher in hp/t. I mean, GM couldn't ACTUALLY put out a f-body with performance numbers close to their flagship corvette even tho they should be much closer.

just my .02.

and the resale on my boys z28 was cause he needed money for school tuition. so he practically gave it away..

but back to facts, reality tells us that the vr4 loses to the ls1 top end on a midly modded N/A ls1 in EVERY race I've ever read/seen on streetfire and ls1tech/ls1com. it's not hard to throw some shocks/springs on and do a complete night/day difference on it's handling. I'm just waiting for my stockers to really go to shit before I do it.

so again.. vote = N/A Ls1 > 3000GT Vr4. I'd rather just buy the real GTO. naa mean? the American one.
    test
  8. Snikka

and lol @ dyno sheets.. DOGG.. go to ls1tech and read signatures.. the numbers look exactly like they should. I'm not even gonna attemp to find a dyno sheet to prove somthing thats WELL KNOWN.

you really think they dont put down those numbers to the rear wheels?? they are over 350hp at the crank man. you're in for a real shock.
    test
  9. Tigre

Respond the to the other stuff next..

So a modified T/A needs to beat a stock VR4.. Is that supposed to impress someone? You can buy a STG2 SRT4 from the dealer that would beat a LS1.. would you say that was fair? Cause stg2, really consist of mild mods.

Of course any car can put upgraded springs and shocks to handle better...lol.. so if the VR4 does the samething, I guess we are back were we started, the Vr4 being a better handling machine.

Yeah the real GTO, the one they don't make anymore.. I know what you mean.
    test
  10. Snikka

I edited that in.
    test
  11. Tigre

Sooo 320rwhp is where exactly.. you just told me in your other post it is more like 305.. sooo call me crazy that is 15rwhp short. Soo yeah.. why should I go looking when you easily showed me.

So damn think about it.. so we look at the big picture.. and we think VR4's that aren't even 320awhp.. not even 300awhp.. that is capable of beating a LS1... stock for stock..

Vr4>LS1
    test
  12. Snikka

based on everything I've read and talked to people about and from what I can see on mildly modded and close to stock dyno runs and actual differences, the numbers on those cars stock should be REAL CLOSE to eachother.. that just rated them differently for marketing and because of the differences in styling. thats all i'm saying.
    test
  13. Snikka

Stock the handling is gonna be better. given.

I believe "run what you brung" would be correct.

I gotta go with the argument of performance vs $$$. The margin of power you get versus money spend is tough to beat. 10-15,000 gets you a car that today still beats like 90% of the stock cars on the road. if you're buying a car to be fast, thats pretty tough to beat in basically every new car i've seen come out.

and you should listen to cammed ls1s, they sound 67/69' with their lope.. they sound great. I personally would rather rock a last of the breed ls1 than say.... a srt4 or an evo. thats just me.
    test
  14. Snikka

here's a 2001 ws6 stock dyno sheet (A sunset orange metallic, no less):

http://home.comcast.net/~ws6freak/assets/images/Dyno-07-20-200502.jpg

(notice he put down 324rwhp/330t)

Talking about Stock dyno numbers (I just grabbed a few it was a huge list):

<-- 01' SS

<--- lol @ the irony

<--- 99' TA

<--- 02' WS6

test
  15. Tigre

I guess I can go with hearsay especially when some say bonestock and list intakes in their equation... rather funny....cause last time I checked stock is when you buy it off the dealer show brand new from factory specs.. that would be bone stock.. but most are doing 305-310 and not 320 stock..
    test
  16. Snikka

that thread was like 6 pages long.. I just grabbed a few like i said.

but interestingly, look at the 01' Firehawk, putting down 309. just shows the difference.

One was a 98' putting down like 322 or some shit, a factory freak.. it varies alot. but stays within a similar range.

but yeah, you're right 305-315 is a better stock average I'd say.. which is still good IMO. a lid is REAL BASIC.. like a first mod that would be like 5-10rwhp.
    test
  17. SevenEightOne

SevenEightOne New Member

test
  18. Higher Rhymes

Higher Rhymes Active Member

Do yourself a favor and don't ever get a DSM..

If walking your crank at such high horsepower isn't going to be a problem than waste your money as you see fit. There are plenty of other cars that can be had for way less. If I remember correctly even FD3S insurance is a tad lower than VR4s. There's plenty of Supras(not that you can find one anywehre but Florida, Cali, and South Texas in good condition) 300zx, blah blah.. Take your pick but never a DSM.

Besides that, Mitsubishi skimmped on some really important stuff with their early-late 90s sports cars.. how about having a 2-3 layer switch/circuit board while most other companies upgraded to 5.. burning/melting a fuse just got a whole lot easier.

[​IMG]
    test
  19. Sprinta_01

Sprinta_01 can't deny the skillz....

LMAO!!! that was great....
    test
  20. Kraylen

Kraylen Killer Instinct Champion.

Never pick a DSM??? .... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I beg to differ.
    test
Thread Status: