3 REASONS why people dont like Eminem

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by BLOODraven, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Key

Mr. Key Heron and sex in one....

Learn to read the WHOLE point instead of taking one sentence at face value.

Yes lose yourself was his most popular single, because it was part of a movie that he was starring in and therefore gotta the extra hype. Yes, it was a dope single and a serious one, but thats only one case, my previous statement is true, this is the only exception. His poppy singles are more popular than his serious ones except for Lose yourself, which was not only a dope song, but was backed by a movie giving it even more of a push. Alot of his shit isnt related to white culture, I dont think white people stick gerbils up their asses or do all the crazy shit he says. But the point is, his most popular singles(aside from Lose yourself) were designed for the TRL audience.

And im glad you didnt try to refute my other points because it would have made you look like a fool, and I know your not one.
    test
  2. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

Mr. Key, you need to just quit while you're not ahead. After last time I though you would AT LEAST look up his popular singles. The poppy singles ARE NOT the only ones that sell Eminem's records. There isn't even a pattern as to how serious or how poppy his most successful singles are.

rockonthenet.com has a list of his most popular singles that they got from the ARC weekly top 40. It goes as followed:

1. loose Yourself
    2. Without Me
    3. Mockingbird
    4. My Band
    5. Sing for the Moment
    6. The Real Slim Shady
    7. Shake That
    8. Just Loose It
    9. When I'm Gone
    10. Superman
    11. Cleanin Out My Closet
    12. My Name is
    13. Stan

It doesn't really matter how "poppy" the song is, it will still sell. People buy his poppy music to laugh, and they buy his serious music because its filled with passion. It has a little to do with him being white, but him being white is NOT one of the main reasons.

Look at kanye and Ludacris. They are also succesful from using humor (and in kanye's case, contraversial also), and of course, they're black. No one really plays the humor card as much, which makes it unique. You just cant be a crappy ass rapper like afroman or bizarre.

as far as Em's lyrical ability, it helped him STAY in the rap game so he wouldn't be just a one hit wonder with "my name is" THe people who bought sslp realized that not only was he funny, but he has talent on the mic. Nas and Jay-z are considered by the public as two of the best lyricists in the game and all of their albums get platinum status.

bottom line:

humor sells. Contraversy sells. Lyrics sell. Eminem has all 3, which are the REAL REASONS why he's the best selling rapper alive.
    test
  3. nappyjim

nappyjim Active Member

1) Eminem became as famous as he did because he is white. D12, along with many other artitsts make controversial music and arent nearly as popular or sell as much.

2) That being said, his fame has been sustained DUE to his talent. Not his color.

3) Many people will never consider him GOAT because he is white. (Read: SOME PEOPLE. Not everyone, but alot will) I think many people do it subconsciouly without even realzing it. Rap was brought to the forefront by blacks, so its almost engrained that the GOAT should be black. When I say country music, what comes to mind? White people. If you had to guess who is considered the GOAT in country music, you would assume he is white. Same goes for GOAT in rap music.

4) We need to stop thinking like we are living pre-60's. White kids for the most part will buy music whether its a black guy or a white guy behind the mic. Same goes for black kids. You can not use the argument white kids only bought Eminem cause he was white, because then you have to say that black kids only bought Jay Z cause he was black. Black/white kids buy the music they do because they LIKE the aritist. Yes, there will always be the 1% who will/will not buy it because they dont like the persons color, but that is the exception, not the rule.
    test
  4. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

see my post above
    test
  5. D.Cipher

D.Cipher New Member

BINGO

lyrics sell?? lmfao no they do NOT, i would love that very much but point blank they don't...any artist in the industry can tell u that lyrics don't sell...if lyrics sold people like the Roots, Talib, Common woulda gone damn near diamond and we wouldnt have platinum selling artists like Young Jeezy...(how the fuck did he go plat anyway).

thedream you love Eminem for the same reason that a lot of us do but you have to understand our opinions do not represent the majority of the population of people that actually go out and buy albums...like someone else said there are so many people that buy his albums, completely skip all the meaningful songs and go right to his singles and songs about killing his wife

and this is no attack at Eminem at all but come on fam, you have to admit he was as popular as he was because he's white, damn the man said it himself. The reason his controversy was so big was because the media was like wtf, there's this rapper talking some wild shit, not only that but he's WHITE and GOOD...if he was black the media would have treated him like another ignant nigga and disregarded him. I mean come on, think of how much attention the title "white rapper" gets, it's like saying "black country singer"...it already makes you want to listen just to see what the person has

someone else said it best when they said Eminem blew up because he was white but maintained his status because of his skills

Hell, ask your average Eminem fan which song they remember/like the most "Shake that" or "Bad Meets Evil"...that's lyrics vs pop right there

hell, if Vanilla Ice was black we probably would never have known Ice Ice Baby existed
    test
  6. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

Like I said before, being white, isn't a major reason eminem is successful because it works for him and against him. Your vanilla Ice statement is true because ice ice baby isn't as unique as say... my name is.

The main reason Eminem sells is contraversy. After than its the fact that he uses humor, and the humor wouldn't be as effective if he wasn't a great lyricist.

Marshal Mathers LP sold so much because the lyrics pissed so many people off and people began protesting the album.

humor is rare in rap music, so when it is used effectively, that is, with good lyrics like I stated before, it stands out from everything else.

Because no one uses the mixture of lyrical skills, humor, and contraversy like eminem does, he is in a class of his own. There is no one else in MAINSTREAM rap that has eminem's style, which is why he can afford to put out shit like Encore and curtain call and easily go multi. Theres no one out there in the mainstream industry thats trying to be the next Eminem, which is actually kind of sad, since its such an interesting style.
    test
  7. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

Very true, though Number one is slowly going into decline. But the race thing was the reason alot of 'true' hip hop fans wouldn't listen to him.

I personally didn't give him a chance and wrote him off as a twat on hearing 4 bars of My name is.
    test
  8. BLOODraven

BLOODraven New Member

Perfect example of #1. Yea the number it is probably declining, but i am sure there are still a lot of people like you who wont give him a chance.

anyways what do u think of him now Ratiko? U listen to him?

And you guys are telling me that there is only 3 reasons y u dont like eminem? (Well only reason #2 is a valid cuz that was his fault, he cant do anything about his skin, or the way people take his lyrics.) I thought there would be at least 5 or 6 reasons. Where are all the eminem haters??????? This is your chance..........
    test
  9. D.Cipher

D.Cipher New Member

i think you're missing my argument here

i already stated that Eminem's skills kept him in the game

i said that his skin color played a major role in him blowing up in the first place, i'm talking back in the Slim Shady LP days...was it the only role? not at all, did he have any control over it? nope...am i calling his skin color a gimmick or anything of the sort? nah

like i said i'm not taking anything away from him at all, just stating that the fact that he was white helped him a lot more than hurt and played a major role in him blowing up

I don't understand how you can't see this when Eminem has rhymed about this and said it in interviews himself numerous times
    test
  10. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

just because Em said it, doesn't make it true.

He was white when he made infinite. He had skills when he made infinite. He was clever when he made infinite.

The MAIN reason eminem got noticed is because he changed his style to the contraversial slim shady. without doing this, white or black, he never would have had a chance.
    test
  11. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

Some one brought it the SSLP to school and played Drug Ballad. I was a Stan right up until Encore.
    test
  12. Mr. Key

Exactly, the media's reaction to his lyrics validates the belief that he got so much attention because he was a white rapper. Rappers have been saying the word faggot forever, but when Eminem says it there's protests? I never heard about G.L.A.A.D until Eminem came out and they began protestiing. No other rapper have had this problem, no other rapper has had there lyrics under such scrutiny, And its because of the pigment of his skin.

"Eminem blew up because he was white but maintained his status because of his skills." - Truest statement posted in this thread.

I bought SSLP, and loved it, because there was alot of good music, he proved he was lyrical and witty, and not the next Vanilla Ice.
    test
  13. Mr. Key

LOL at quit while im not ahead, i made 6 points in my first post, only 1 of which you were able to successfully refute. Catch up homie, lol.

You mention Kanye and Luda, but they have NEVER sold close to Eminem numbers, except for the greatest hits album, which sold about the same as Late Registration. So you answer me why they dont sell nearly as much as Eminem if they are so similar in style and so popular.... Im sure you'll come to the same conclusion as everybody else has about why Eminem sells so much and is so popular.
    test
  14. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

wow. came back so save your reputation huh?

I actually refuted ALL of your posts earlier. I'm sick of typing the same thing over and over.

but as for Kanye and Ludacris I'll copy and paste what I already said...

"Because no one uses the mixture of lyrical skills, humor, and contraversy like eminem does, he is in a class of his own. There is no one else in MAINSTREAM rap that has eminem's style, which is why he can afford to put out shit like Encore and curtain call and easily go multi. Theres no one out there in the mainstream industry thats trying to be the next Eminem, which is actually kind of sad, since its such an interesting style."

no one else in mainstream has Em's unique style. Kanye and Luda are humorous, but not to the extent that eminem is. Because eminem made his own style, he has no real competition. HOwever because kanye and Ludacris' style aren't as unique as Em's they have more competition, including each other.
    test
  15. c0ur

c0ur New Member

eminem has an annoying ass voice, fuck that shit
    test
  16. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

^^^whats an ass voice?
    test
  17. Superman70

Superman70 edited

Encore wasn't horrible.

Like Toy Soldiers
    Mosh
    Spend Some Time
    Mockingbird
    Crazy in Love
    One Shot 2 Shot
    Encore
    Never Enough
    Yellow Brick Road

I go through every album I get track by track and see how many there are that I like.

Now I wouldn't buy the album...but it's rare that I find 4 or 5 songs on an album that I like these days.

There's 9 here.

This is a bad album compared to his first 3.
    Compared to everyone else it's still pretty good.
    test
  18. Superman70

Superman70 edited

and nappyjim is right.
    test
  19. razor_bladez

razor_bladez Has Muertos

first of all, not every track on encore was wack, so its not 25% of his music, second, i love budden. And last and most importantly, Jay-z and Nas both dropped terrible albums through out their careers but nobody cares, how come?
    test
  20. D.Cipher

D.Cipher New Member

this is basically the point i'm trying to make, glad someone can understand what i'm saying

dream you're talking like i'm saying if Eminem was black he wouldn't have been successful at all which it isn't

i'm simply saying if Eminem was black he wouldn't have been AS successful, especially when he first blew up which is where my argument lies...no one would have paid as close attention to his controversy because most of the people that protested would have written him off as another rapper...you act like Eminem's the first to say shit about people in the media and piss people off

everyone in this thread can understand what i'm saying, Eminem himself can understand what i'm saying, what's wrong?
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.