23andme.com - DNA testing.

Discussion in 'The Alley' started by Dex Luis, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Dex Luis

Dex Luis Dextilla The Hunk

$100

Worth it.

How I found my neanderthal %

Also found out that I have some Sub-Saharan African and Palestinian which surprised me.
    test
  2. zyclon B gas

zyclon B gas sososerious

why would the latter 2 be surprising? civilization started in africa, so everyone should have some in them.

palestine part of the same areas in the fertile crescent.
    test
  3. KOzS

KOzS .Juster

Hah, so you did it, eh? I was lucky to have the opportunity to run it by a genetic counselor, as well as a few others in the field, before trying it. I don't remember if I posted their answers in the thread. I don't remember anyone showing interest.

I suggest you disregard and destroy any health-related results, and if you can, have them destroy their records as well, or at least any connection to you. 23andMe's testing is based on poor research and only the common mutations, and so it's an inaccurate and incomplete picture. It's a money grab, but if you want to have fun with the ancestry part, go ahead, but destroy all records of the health part, as it is very inconclusive, and just having that information available has insurance ramifications.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
    test
  4. AliceHouse

AliceHouse The House Always Wins

It turns out I have to smoke cigarettes just to have what's considered a normal lifespan. Otherwise I'd be missing you all in the next century.
    test