2013 has been a disappointing ass year... List your top 5 fav 2013 albums...

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by thedream233, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

We both do.....But what are you getting at here?
    test
  2. Mel Man

Mel Man Wat ya'll bout to witness

I didn't say to peep it, I asked if you consider it rap

you said rap is performance art

but at the same time you associate good rap with good music, like if you can't make good music you're not a good rapper.

but what about an acapella cypher, that aint rap? let's say a nigga with no music outshined drake in a cypher n then beat him in a battle, who the better rapper?

Dream said Jay ain't a good lyricist but he's one of the best rappers because of his music. There's all types of wrong with that statement imo...you can't be the best rapper without being a great lyricist..
    test
  3. Mel Man

Yea and being a great song maker doesn't make you a great rapper either...it works both ways...but you seem overall disrespectful to battling...like it ain't a form of rap or something..but really it's the essence..

what do you mean am I serious? what's so outlandish about the question? rappin aint necessarily music..its words in motion, ya voice is ya instrument

Why no love for acapellas?

so if cats on the street corner are rippin it with no beat accapella you wouldn't stop to listen?

Rap began in the streets n parks, not the studio..

my whole thing was the rapper vs. the music argument

How can Jay Z can be considered one of the best rappers with "good music" being the top reason he one of the best, but his "rapping" being a lesser reason?

To me that's backwards..

It comes down to what really made Jay-Z as good as he was...It wuz always his lyrics, everything else was style which Jay also perfected..People came to love Jay cuz of what he said, didn't hurt that he had more style than most rappers..but with Jay it was always bout how deadly he can come lyrically with the style to compliment..
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  4. Mel Man

22 Two's ain't impress you lyrically?
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  5. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

test
  6. Kris Benwa

Kris Benwa Grown Man Bars....

Goodness Mel with the grand slam. But yeah Jay has always been lyrically sick ever since the beginning. 22 two's D'evils Dead Presidents I and II. Some of my favorite lines came from him with the
    "but one of these buyers got eyes like a Korean
    It's difficult to read em, the windows to his soul
    are half closed"
    IMO the way he put that shit together was so clever. To say Jay isn't a top lyricist is sort of disrespectful but to each his own I guess?
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  7. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

Dude I realized you must have misread what i said about what a rapper is.....A rapper can rap, and does so making good music out of it....one can rap well, but that does not make that same person write well.....Jay can do both, and that is why he is a great.in both......Im not sure why you took anything I said to mean I was knocking anything except the way people use lyricist.....Rap music is what we are talking about, and battling or freestyling is a different thing than making music, and a rapper who doesn't make music is mot a serious rapper.....this has zero to do with not being able to write......

How do Is I seem disrespectful to battling, ask lush or plex or eliotdrummond, roc555, mapleaf, avo, or any of then if have long supported battle rap.....You sounding stupid bro, I think you misunderstood what I said there and the other post, at least I hope you did......
    test
  8. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

well first off, Jay-z overall has the best beat selection I've heard from any other rapper.

but I like hip hop based on 4 criteria...

lyrics
    production
    content
    delivery

the MUSIC is these 4 combined.

90% of the time when I like a jay track, its because of the Delivery or production or both... cause when hes at his best, Jay can flow like crazy... (I like 22 two's for THAT reason, other than the clever "checkin in his casket, look at him, still sleepin") In fact thats why I like Reasonable doubt so much, because of Jay's delivery and production.

like many have said before, in hip hop, how you say it is more important than what you say.

lyrically Jay can be nice, but is he up there with Nas or BIG? NO.

his content I often cant stand cause he's like a watered down version of BIG.. all the flashy player "brag about my possessions" shit without the edginess BIG had. Every so often you'll get a dpoe story like "Meet the Parents" but not often at that caliber.

so thats why hes on my top 20, yet not my top ten...

and thats why I say his overall MUSIC puts hip in my top 20 in the first place.
    test
  9. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

well you said no matter who it is (even if its your favorite rapper) you slim through it first to see if you like it. An album is a work of art and its not really the artists intention for it to be heard that way...

take Good Kid Maad City for instance... you get the full story if you put it on track 1 and play it to the end, cause there are skits at the end of songs...

someone who is just skimming through the album might not think its that great because they dont see what makes it a fully cohesive unit.
    test
  10. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

lol I fuckin loved BP3... like I've always said about that album, I dont love it for Jay, I love that album for the production and the features.
    test
  11. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

very true, I feel you.....I don't skim thru kendrik..... you know the shit I listen to bro, we have simiklar tast besides Tygga
    test
  12. Kris Benwa

Kris Benwa Grown Man Bars....

"Look at him still sleeping" line is fucking ridiculous but you didnt like his first verse? I thought it was one of the cleverest verses of all time
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  13. OutLaw613

OutLaw613 Well-Known Member

k most have already been said been bumping these pretty heavy

7 G.E.M.S - Golden Era Music Sciences

uMaNg - The revisited

test
  14. Mel Man

Word Jay's beat selection is up there..every album has had countless classic beats

but a rapper of Jay's caliber deserve those beats...it's what took him over the top

Your criteria is on point

In rap the beat and lyrics are definitely the main components...then content, delivery, etc all assemble ya style while simultaneously displayin ya rap ability..

Ok word, but that's why I question your claim he's one of the best, but I guess you just like him as a rapper for other reasons you see as valid n have the respect for the goats

Jay has the whole package..lyrics, beats, n style...that's why he has classics...a classic album without dope lyrics is rare n it sure aint Reasonable Doubt...

Who's the best mc, Jay-Z, Biggie, or Nas...Jay made the comparison of the 3 famous..cuz of a witty line..you like Big L who is lyrics n punchlines before anything else but can't appreciate Jay lyrics who established himself as what Big L could've been but less punchline n grimey gutter bravado n more dense, complete artist type but still with a street style..

N lyrically I'd rank the 3

Nas
    Jay
    BIG

Overall, same order..

but him n Big were cool...they prob had similar styles in general...a lot of undercover bitin be goin down in hip hop period..Pac dissed BIG in Hit Em Up fo bitin when he said You Copied my style...you can't fault Jay fo his style...just like your adament EM's style was completely his own, when really it wasn't,,,but that's neither here nor there..Jay n Em also birthed a lot of rappers cuz they established new lanes free from influence..

Fair enough...still think your view of Jay is limited..but I hear you

Jay prob in my top 10 overall
    test
  15. Mel Man

word
    test
  16. Freebass

Freebass NAH NUDDAH

copied my style, was pac referencing big copying his lifestyle.....He said that about ther entire idea behind Juicy, cuz Big never had any of the shit he was talking bout at that time
    test
  17. Mel Man

I know he meant lifestlye, not necessarily rap style..

but it all manifests itself in the music anyway

Now it's all about Versace
    You copied my style

Miami, D.C. prefer Versace
    test
  18. Louis Armstrong

Louis Armstrong Yeah, it's me nigga

So you wanna rate something that isn't even quantifiable?
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  19. Louis Armstrong

Louis Armstrong Yeah, it's me nigga

It's because of shit like this that Jay will always be top 10 to me:

• +Rep +Rep x 3
    test
  20. Noncentz

Noncentz Sieg Heil, M'fer!

Why do you keep adding Dessa, Dessa is fucking garbage.
    test