2007 Shelby Cobra GT500

Discussion in 'Car & Audio' started by Snikka, Feb 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snikka

Snikka Vision Action Execution

MOST potential than any car on the market right now it seems.

MSRP about 43k

Shelby Cobra GT500's supercharged 5.4-liter DOHC V-8 produces over 450 hp

T-56 six-speed manual

its very underated on the power it makes.

What do you guys think of this beast?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    test
  2. Tigre

Tigre Ax Me About Ebonics

seriously.. I have driven the car and it's not that bad of a car..and for the record produces 500hp and 480lb tq.

In terms of performance... Straight line speed is there of course, but I would prefer the 03 Cobra over this one. Mostly cause of the porky ass weight of this bitch. That is hard to overcome. I don't care what ppl say and how much hp you put in the car at almost 4000lbs?!?!?!? no fucking sports car should ever weight that much. The handling.. I guess only Corvette and GT40 can get this right, but to the mustang it is rather ... how can I say ... questionable. The live rear axle leaves alot to be desired, even though the car has grip it just doesn't deliver it to the pavement on any turn. Also, still cheap like most american car interiors, but that is a given so we will shoot past that point.

But... I guess for 50g's.. you can't beat the straight line performance you get here. But then again, I mean just pick up a used Cobra, or hell a C6. I would take those over this car any day of the week. Also. in terms of comparisons GT500 vs Z06.. of course no comparsion can really be given. Cause the z06 will crush this in every performance category hands down. I will say this, I would rather have the GT500 over the Z06 ONLY if this was my daily driver. Cause the GT500 is pretty good on a cruise, can't say the same for a Z06.
    test
  3. Snikka

the price difference is pretty wide. Markup takes the GT500 up to around 60k+ in most areas. but the MSRP is 43k which is far lower than the z06.

so for what you get it's a hell of a deal. from what I have gathered it the c6 vette shouldn't be faster (at $42k) and the cobra offers more potential from stock considering FI.

Shelby behind the name, it should hold its value pretty well. interiors, of course... it's a mustang with a badass drivetrain and engine.

I definately would only want an 03/04 cobra out of the Ford line-up pretty much. even a new stock GT is VERY threatened by a stock ls1. and mint green is gay.
    test
  4. Tigre

Yeah any FI car has more potential i agree and know this point. Although I still haven't seen an LS motor that doesn't respond well to minor b-o-l-t (for some reason this word is blocked out???)-ons... you out of all ppl on here should agree with that.

Yeah the drive train is nice.. of course, but damn... almost as bad shifting gears as a Z06.

lol ppl buy mint green... yeah that person must take it hard up the ass straight OZ style. The c6 might not be faster, but it is a better made car because,
    1. the light weight body makes the car more agile and more responsive.
    2. the weight also makes the car more fun to drive
    3. gas consumption is a true plus
    4. although this is subjective, the Vette looks nicer inside and out.
    5. Hell automatic c6's have ran 12.2 on stock trim....

I would say this much, if i had a GT500 and a bone stock C6 lined up against me.. I would be a little worried. Off topic ..... I still think in terms of just sheer excitement and probably one of the only cars to actually scare teh shit out of me.. was the Viper SRT10. But thus far, the best American performance car will be the Z06, and I don't think anyone is knocking them off for a long time. Since I have never driven a new GT40, I can't comment on that, but I am sure if I did, that would be the greatest American car ever made.
    test
  5. Snikka

No doubt.. I'm not going to be jumping ship. stock for stock the Z06 > almost all. the z06 is in another league than the gt500 IMO. different price/income bracket.

But in streetable cars some like to follow the pattern that whoever spends the least to go faster > all.

so for exanple guy with a Terminator (03/04 Cobras) has that edge stock of potential than my ls1. +the drivetrain/rear/internals were better suited to an FI set-up. everything else depends on how someone sets their car up.

GM lsx motors debateably make the best power N/A (cams, heads, b0lt-ons) and n20. the ENGINE isn't the issue. an lsx is perfect powerplant. and most times bigger engine > You. the vette looks better than the mustang and gt500 IMO.

ME, I wouldn't mind running a procharcher later in life or trying a turbo setup as I get some money for new toys. and definately a C6 vette is awesome and certainly I'd rather have than than any Ford product.

I'm looking at how quickly you could take a GT500 and be making fast/cheap power much easier than the c6 and pretty much any car on the market right now.

the z06 ls7 block/heads/internals/everything is NOT the same as an ls2 vette.

so IMO, GT500 > c6 ls2 vette honestly. if you want to go fast easier.

GT500 is pretty nice also.

[​IMG]

the vette is just always badass.

[​IMG]
    test
  6. Tigre

True it is unfair to compare the cars together, but why shouldn't we since that is what Ford build this car for. It is not our faults they didnt do better R&D on the car to make it much lighter with a much tighter suspension to try to battle their number one foe. In all honesty the ROUSHcharged Mustang is a MUCH BETTER mustang than this GT500. Have you been in one of those? The one with the STG3 package with suspension and brakes is such a fun car to drive. I honestly will sadly admit I had a smile on my face when I drove one in San Diego. The GT500 didn't give me that same experience... but again this is just my opinion.

Vette is definitely bad ass, and true the LS7 is a different than it's predecessors. Although, I would agree the 03/04 Cobra has plenty of potential, and to tell you the truth has much more than the GT500. The weight of this car is just too much to get over for me. IT is a nose heavy bitch. If you ever get a chance to get behind the wheel of it, you will see in a heart beat how much more the 03 is a better car than the GT500. But then again, I am a autocrossing, road racing, hill carving kind of driver. On the drag strip, yeah this car is beast, or even highway rolls, but I honestly got very bored of just having a one dimensional vehicle, I need a balance of the two.

Oh in terms of the interior, just sit in one and you will notice pictures do this car much more justice than actually seeing it in person. It is almost like vettes, but this is worse.
    test
  7. Snikka

Good breakdown. As most towns around the United States barely have a showroom version of the car, I haven't driven one and dont know anyone with one. so....

I think the 03/04' Cobras are pretty mean package all around. I have been in a stock one and could instantly see it's a better car all around than my 01 ta stock. 03 cobra > 02' ss/firehawk.

I haven't driven or really seen a true Roush Mustang car pretty much period out here yet. but if Roush is working you a package, it's gonna be nice. cause they actually engineer the mustang instead of building a better production of one.

I'd have to see one. these pictures kind of suck. the Ford GT is the supercar the new vette maybe could start competeing with in terms of price though.
    test
  8. Ethan Albright

Ethan Albright New Member

If only the entire body of the car could somehow be hidden like the engine.

because it's ugly, but other than that yep....
    test
  9. Snikka

could use a bit more body styling?

here's the Top Gear review of the GT500

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BbXZN0Gkv4

I've heard a lot about these guys out of the UK.. This will be the first episode I watch.

Top Gear Lap Time:

Top Gear track lap time:

Corvette Z06 1.22.4
    Porsche Cayman 1.26.2
    Lotus Exige 1.26.4
    Chevrolet Corvette 1.26.8
    Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 1.30.0
    Subaru Impreza STI 1.30.1
    Vauxhall Monaro VXR 1.30.1
    Nissan 350Z 1.31.8
    Mazda RX-8 1.31.8
    test
  10. Snikka

heh.. funny how this reivew was exactly the same as Tigre's on a lot of points.

interesting show.. I may have to watch it again.
    test
  11. Sprinta_01

Sprinta_01 can't deny the skillz....

this makes me wonder why they killed the Camaro in the first place? they had a market for it and just ejaculated it prematurely. . .
    test
  12. Snikka

it's coming back baby.. and I see dead imports....
    test
  13. Snikka

nobody forgot about the 35 year heritage of Camaro or Trans Am.
    test
  14. Sprinta_01

yeah, brothers in arms...haha. idk about that import comment, the Supra is bound for reincarnation as the FT-HS or something
    test
  15. Sprinta_01

yea, just looked it up...it supposed to be a 400 HP hybrid
    you guys can take it from here....lol
    test
  16. Snikka

*edited as they both share that trait.

I have no comment until I see these cars for real.

but the Camaro is actually going to be a production car within the next 2 years.. and should house I'd guess at least 400hp.. should be muscle car like.
    test
  17. Snikka

I think on one end years years down the line.. you're gonna have that hybrid 400hp supra thats like 50-60k that nobody really buys and itll get treated the same way as the current ones. a rareish import.

while the muscle cars will be driving around America, as they are more a drivers car I guess.

the corvette certainly isn't going anywhere.
    test
  18. Tigre

LMAO.. no it wasn't even the same points but thanks for mentioning me..lol..

Now I do LOVE THAT SHOW... by far the greatest car show on the program, although they are very very anti-american. Soo I guess why it does seem that way. As well as I am more european "mind" influenced to what a "real" car should perform like. Anyone that drives performance euro cars all feel the same way as me.. who cares about straight line speed when I have to slow down considerably and be taken on a track cause i can't handle coming in and leaving a turn.

But never saw that episode, I have seen the other one which would seem a hell of alot more closer to my opinion than this one. That is the one where they pretty much bashed every American car out. You should go check for that one.
    test
  19. Tigre

Muscle cars will not kill the so called new Supra.. it will be everybody else.

Cause lets just look at the cars coming out:
    Lexus IS500 - 50G's w/ 420+ hp
    e92 M3 - 50G's w/ 400+hp
    CLK63 - 55-65G's w/463hp
    Skyline - 70g's --- hp not official
    Audi RS4- 60g's -- 400hp

If they produce the blah Supra at about 40g's.. it would do well. cause times are that it will be 0-60 in 4 secs.. and this and that... When the new m3 comes out it has a great chance for being the best all around car for under 100g's.
    test
  20. Snikka

The corvette fares pretty well it seems.

AND, from what I understand they enjoyed the Z06 and actually were pretty happy with it.

so the C6 is still a +.

They test the worlds cars and should be then, in fact, a little bias.. but then they all own muscle cars also.

all the episodes are taken down everwhere from the BBC for copyright issues.. so the z06 episode and others is not possible to see.. I've tried before.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.