2 years in, what's your thoughts on the lastest 'Next Gen' installment?

Discussion in 'Game Zone' started by Look im Gangsta, May 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

I'm disappointed to be honest.

It's been a rather pointless exercise this time round. I don't have high expectations of consoles. I don't want IPTV, I don't want HD TV, VR Goggles, body wear or a console that can compete with the PC market. I just want better graphics and consoles that can handle improved gaming engines.

The N64, Playstation and Saturn/Dreamcast revolutionised contollers, multiplayer, 3D modelling, texture and power. The Xbox and Playstation 2 took the graphics to the next level, were the first consoles to give unprecedented power to game engines and birthed online play.

This generation offers equal wealth of improovement. It can genuinely boast near high end PC power this time, it can offer, a choice of DVD players, internet, MSN, IPTV, Movie rentals, Media Centers, advanced GUI's and online matchmaking and a new method of retail/delivery of media.

However, neither the PS3 nor 360 made any headway in the games department. None of the advancements (other than natural progression of processing power) are really benificial to games. Developers are struggling to work with the kits, games are being rushed out and constantly pactched up and in Guitar Hero's case, fucked up. You have to buy levels and 'extra' content and this isn't dependant on the developers wishes, but that of Sony's and MS.

The 360 is far, far, far superior to the PS3. Sony were so involved in the redundant DVD Media battle, that they forgot to release their console and schedule games and developers for it. At least Microsoft went out and bought and forced out unfinished games.

Some of you maybe happy, rolling around the hype and the brand loyalty and the unprecedented, SEGA defying failure of Sony's PS3, but you wont be getting any games until Christmas because attention is focused else where. Your living room cabinet. Your Sky/Cable box, your DVD player and your internet connection.

It has a weak line up of games, it limits itself every generation by refusing to adhere to market demand for R - Rated content, but yet again, Nintendo is still there. The Wii is the ONLY console to focus on the gaming aspect. No internet, no MSN, no brand, no celebrity endorsements, no Blu Ray, HDMI, HD IPTV or any other redundant abbreviations. Just more 'gimmicks' that will be on the next Microsoft and Sony consoles.

I can't understand why the criminal lack of games doesn't bother people. People feel compelled to drop lists of future games that are 6-12 months away and that are pure hype. The nature is that only a few games are great, even fewer are classics. Assassins Creed is untried, untested. For all you know, it'll flop. Hard.

I loved my 360, but for 2 games. Fight Night and Call of Duty 2. No other game is prolific enough. No other game warrants me buying the console.
    test
  2. Wrectify1

Wrectify1 New Member

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I was talking to a friend this week and I have been SERIOUSLY considering selling my 360. There are no good games out for it...at all. All I am looking forward to is DMC 4 and RE5...but those games come out MONTHS down the line. I am about to graduate from grad school soon and I will have a nice job here in the near future..I doubt I'll have the time for this stuff really. PS3...it is sucks as well. Don't get me wrong..they are powerful machines....but....what can you do with a system that has ZERO quality games. I am VERY unimpressed with these next gen systems....for all the money that they cost...it's just not worth it. 360 was fun for maybe a month or two....now, I don't play the thing anymore. Xbox live even sucks now....I haven't been on it in like a mth..yet I STILL have a subscription..which I need to get around to canceling. Anyhow...if I don't sell my 360...it's going back in the box that I bought it in for a VERY long time. It's so boring. Yet they release the elite version...like that's gonna make things better...release some more damn games..how about that?..
    test
  3. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

It sucks. I aint playing games again. Was playing Crackdown for about 2 weeks. Bored again.
    test
  4. OurSin

OurSin lol @ equality

well it aint been 2 years really, 360 dropped a year before everyone else so most that early stuff shouldn't even count really imo....

I'm happy with it....lots of dope ass innovative games coming out, graphics are getting better but also gameplay and scope and depth.

shit is crazy right now.....with games like mass effect, bioshock, assassins creed, ect coming soon, shit is just getting better.
    test
  5. LiQuiD6

LiQuiD6 Left hook Justice

you guys are just picky as hell.....lol

the ps2 was terrible in its first 2 years....you expect the ps3 and 360 to magically come out with heat so soon?

you guys complain about no quality games....
    rainbow six vegas, resistance, gears of war, crack down, nba 2k7, ghost recon advanced warfighter, motorstorm, oblivion, lost planet, project gotham racing 3....

thats whats out now....nothing but AAA games...now you can say maybe they arent your type of games...but to say they are low quality games...your smoking crack rocks...

and you guys are talking like this is the first game system you have owned...its pretty common sense that no one releases thier best games during the off season...this is the WORST time of the year for games...yet rainbow six vegas and lost planet were released....forza motorsport 2 is coming this month.. blue dragon is coming in july...they arent gonna throw out everything before xmas....seriously you guys complain just to complain sometimes....i dont think any of you have ever owned a video game system in its early life cycle before
    test
  6. WWIII

WWIII It has begun...

I fully agree with liquid. On a larger scale, I notice people who just are very hard to please. They seem to be out in greater numbers nowadays. If you don't place ridiculous expectations on things, you won't be so disappointed. I just take things for what they are. I enjoy what I can from all forms of entertainment and if I don't like something I just stop playing it/watching it/doing it (depending on the form of entertainment).

I've heard people complaining about Spiderman 3, "It was a letdown." The movie was good in my opinion. The same with all the negativity I see put on next gen systems everywhere.

There are plenty of quality games on 360 and there are a bunch of games coming out that I want personally. If you don't find anything to your liking, perhaps gaming really isn't your thing. That's cool too, go outside and do something. It's all on preferences, but don't slam the entire gaming industry like it's not doing well. There are plenty of people out there enjoying these so called disappointing systems, trust me on that. I'm one of them.
    test
  7. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

Oursin will agree with me when I say Mass effect will last a long time.

I just can't wait until strangle hold comes out... I'm dying to blast the shit out of everything.
    test
  8. OurSin

OurSin lol @ equality

^^man Mass Effect is gonna be crazy.....

and word @ liquid.....I can't find anything to complain about wiht the games coming out. If anything, i'd complain about the hardware of these next gen systems.

360, It's less expensive yes, but has alot of hardware issues much more than average. I haven't had any problems, but there are so many reports of broken systems and shit, even though microsoft is doing a good job of replacing shit. It's like yeah, you got to the market first, but maybe a few more months of testing wouldn't have hurt before release so i don't have to ruin my games with scrathes from the defunct dvd drive.

Ps3. Great hardware, but wtf @ the price??? Why do i need to spend 600 bux to play Resistance fall of man??? Their online is free, but it's still low quality compared to 360, they charge you for every damn cord and shit (you gotta buy the fucking hookups??? wtf). Yeah Sony, great machine, but you might wanna think about the typical gamer and how we can't afford this shit.

The wii. Great Innovative gameplay, No dvd Playback??? wtf??? You mean the thing that came standard with last gen was an oversight? Ok, Yeah graphics aint everything, but wtf @ this shit looking like the gamecube??? Couldn't you have made this a gamecube add on or something so i didn't have to buy a new console. The price is great, but maybe a little more work on the processor wouldn't have hurt.

But as far as games, shit is great right now. ps3 dosn't have anything YET, but they will be getting a lot of great games in the next couple years. 360 been out long enough for the really good games to be dropping soon or dropped allready(like liquids list). I think the software is peeking right now
    test
  9. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

WTF? I swear this thread dissapeared. I'll read the longer posts later.

I'm not hard to please at all. I'm the fella who still plays Goldeneye and thinks Killzone is nice.

I'll try anything, it's just big games are pushed back more than Monch's album and when they do get released they aren't next gen.

It's not much to expect next gen games to be released within the first 2 years.
    test
  10. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

No offense but this is fucking bullshit. You cannot raise the prices of products and not expect consumers to expect a better product. Not just systems, but games in general are ten dollars more than they used to be. What do we get for that 10 bucks? Seemingly nothing.
    Im a casual gamer, by no means hardcore, and I am hard to please. I only buy games that generally get 9/10 ratings from reviews.
    Games simply are not innovative. At all. Its all just the same crap in a different package.

Ill use Metal Gear as an example. The original Metal Gear came out on PS1. Then the PS2 brought Metal Gear 2. Whats the main difference in gameplay between these 2 games? You can hang on a ledge and stuff someone in a locker, the latter isnt even helpful. The third Metal Gear was innovative, but in that same note, I think its the worst one of the series. My point is, the prices of games have gone up, but the quality hasnt.
    What seperates 1 FPS from another? Not a whole fucking lot. Same shit, just different surroundings.

My point is, its not that we are really hard to please, its that they take the easy way out and just update games instead of making new ones, to please the people whom are easier to please like yourself.
    test
  11. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

As for Oursin, Im glad to see the Wii with no DVD playback. Honestly, a GOOD DVD player dont cost but 60 bucks these days, and you can get cheapies for half that price. Ive never once in my life watched a DVD on a video game console. EVERYONE has a DVD player. Just like seemingly everyone has a computer in this day and age. DVD playback to me is a feature id rather not pay for.

Actually when PS2 came out, I had a dvd player, and I tried watching a DVD on the PS2. I gave up after a few minutes...shit was gay and pointless.
    test
  12. LiQuiD6

heres the thing....the price of games HAS NOT gone up.....thats where your wrong...

games used to cost a lot more......your just paying for them now instead of your parents so your complaining about it....you expect games to cost the same on a ps1 to a 360/ps3 over 10 years and not be affected by inflation?

not to mention games didnt require a 100+ man team to make......games used to be made by small 10 man teams......not so much anymore.....your whole arguement on cost is just bs........it holds no kind of weight...at all...not even a little tiny bit.......

and as far as the differences between games.....you expect them to completely overhaul the game and make it so different then you cant even recognize why its a sequel? it sounds like your just not really a fan of games.....the same arguement your making can be made for music....movies.....books.......

seriously.....your just hard to please.....no homo

[​IMG]
    http://curmudgeongamer.com/2006/05/history-of-console-prices-or-500-aint.html
    test
  13. LiQuiD6

and that...is your opinion....

my first dvd player was a ps2.....it got me into buying dvd's.....hell when i lived with my parents they would disconnect my ps2 from my room and take it to the living room to watch dvd's before we bought our first stand alone player......

i have a 360.....i play dvd's on it....i got rid of my dvd player when i got my 360 cause my xbox wouldnt play dvds without the stupid add on adapter for 30 bucks.....soon as i got my 360 i threw my dvd player away.......
    test
  14. twdIDescipleI

twdIDescipleI New Member

ima keep my Ps2 till i see some better games from both 360 and ps3
    but i dont eva buy Game Consoles their first year , i always wait a year or two
    test
  15. Wrectify1

Wrectify1 New Member

Smart man.
    test
  16. WWIII

WWIII It has begun...

How is it bullshit? I said if you don't like the damn game, don't buy it. That saves you your money. Do you understand how that works? Microsoft doesn't hold a gun to your head.

Secondly, being "easy to please" isn't an insult. However, you really have no idea what games I enjoy. When you assume I purchase "updated" games, you're making an ass out of yourself. I buy what I like, and as far as the poorly developed games; I don't need to complain about them. I just don't buy them.

Lastly, your post has some inconsistencies. You act as if me calling people like you hard to please was out of line. Then you went and admitted "I am hard to please." You spoke of games not being innovative, and then went on to say that Metal Gear 3 was innovative... but it's the worst in the series. The other problem I have with what you said is you only buy games with a 9/10 rating. Well, I couldn't care less what a game reviewer rates a game. Maybe you should rely on your own opinion a little more in the future. As for game prices, liquid already squashed that argument.
    test
  17. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

How has the price of games not gone up? PS2 games were 50 bucks, PS3 games are sixty. Do you really believe they are putting more man hours into games? No. Almost every game is based off a previous game or a certain type of engine. So for what you to say to be correct, your telling me they had 10 man teams producing PS2 games, and now need 100 men to make a PS3 game??

I dont deny this. Like I said before, I am a casual gamer...Im not some hardcore gamer who checks out every game or gives a shit about achievement points. Im not saying over haul every game, but look at my example...whats the difference between MGS1 and MGS2. Putting people in lockers and hanging on ledges. Whoopity fucking do!
    Now look at every Mario game for each system and you can see the innovation. There is few franchises trying to push the envelope at all.
    test
  18. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

Well, Im not disputing the relevance of a DVD player in the PS2. That was at least new technology then. Granted, I was always with the top of the line technology in those days, so I had one without needing the PS2.

But these days, having a DVD player is worthless. Someone said that the WII dont play DVDs. Okay, well...if they included a DVD player in the WII it would raise the price of the console at least 40-50 dollars. The money you save alone there, you could buy a DVD, and at the same time they are not charging you for shit you may never use.
    test
  19. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

Liquid didnt smash shit with that meaningless graph. The point I made is more relative than anything he said.
    Anyway, I aint tryna be in some immature arguement. I do only buy games that get good reviews, but obviously I still have to like them. Zelda can get all the 10/10s in the world and I aint gonna play it. I just dont like to waste time on shitty games.
    I am hard to please, not because gamers like me and Malo are hard to please, but because nobody is trying to please anyone but the fanboys.
    test
  20. LiQuiD6

so the graph is meaningless......then so is your rant about cost.......
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.