2/8/05 Throwback Track Of The Day: Arrested Development - Mr. Wendal

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by Old Soul, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Soul

Old Soul Nipple Nibbler

[​IMG]

# Audio CD (March 24, 1992)
    # Original Release Date: March 24, 1992
    # Label: Capitol

With their feel-good humanism, uniquely rural perspective, and melodic blend of funk and rap, Arrested Development seemed like the next big thing in 1992. The group hailed from Atlanta, which was not then a capital of hip-hop and R&B, and this, their debut recording, won the Village Voice's Pazz & Jop critics poll. Speech, the primary lyricist, wrote and delivered eloquent attacks on gangsta rap's mindless nihilism: the band's first hit, "Tennessee," spoke of reclaiming Southern black traditions from the racism that sullied their memory, while their second, "People Everyday," deftly updated the Sly Stone classic. Although Speech's rapping style was not distinctive, Dionne Farris's keening vocals highlighted the band's front line. Unfortunately, Speech began to run short of ideas and the band failed to maintain the high standards that this debut set. They disbanded a few years later

I don't think I gave this album a fair chance, since I was heavily into gangsta rap at the time it dropped. My brother bought it for "Tennessee" actually, and "Mr. Wendal" just never soaked into me like it did others. Kyza, here's your platform to express what it means to you.

Download Mr. Wendal

Your thoughts?
    test
  2. Senór Temp

Senór Temp Child of Monrovia ...

Wouldn't these threads be more suited in the Old School forum? Not being funny, just a suggestion.

Oh, and Mr. Wendal is great ... but Everyday People is better.
    test
  3. kyza soza

kyza soza This way up.

Yay.. my suggestion.

Classic track, but i agree with temp aswell.
    test
  4. Infamous-J

Infamous-J O.G.

Man, 1992, I wish I could relive those years....
    test
  5. Old Soul

Old Soul Nipple Nibbler

Old School forum is slow as fuck. HHC is where it's at.
    test
  6. Madpoet

Madpoet why is this so short....

Mr.Wendell yah yah yah....

Great song...
    test
  7. AlmostFamous

AlmostFamous U got a problem?

With their feel-good humanism, uniquely rural perspective, and melodic blend of funk and rap, Arrested Development seemed like the next big thing in 1992. The group hailed from Atlanta, which was not then a capital of hip-hop and R&B, and this, their debut recording, won the Village Voice's Pazz & Jop critics poll. Speech, the primary lyricist, wrote and delivered eloquent attacks on gangsta rap's mindless nihilism: the band's first hit, "Tennessee," spoke of reclaiming Southern black traditions from the racism that sullied their memory, while their second, "People Everyday," deftly updated the Sly Stone classic. Although Speech's rapping style was not distinctive, Dionne Farris's keening vocals highlighted the band's front line. Unfortunately, Speech began to run short of ideas and the band failed to maintain the high standards that this debut set. They disbanded a few years later

I don't think I gave this album a fair chance, since I was heavily into gangsta rap at the time it dropped. My brother bought it for "Tennessee" actually, and "Mr. Wendal" just never soaked into me like it did others. Kyza, here's your platform to express what it means to you.

I really liked arrested development when they first came out... but after a short while I changed my mind... something about there music... i dont know

good post btw... rep up
    test
  8. Mask2MyFace2

Mask2MyFace2 Controversial

them georgia boys do it like that...nothing but hits
    test
  9. MagicDonJuan

MagicDonJuan Active Member

thanks for the link.
    test
  10. acurate3522

acurate3522 WATWUZUTHINKIN

Arrested Development could do no wrong that first album. Every song was a hit for real.......
    test
  11. Tray_Is_Gay

Tray_Is_Gay Sup, Tray?!

Preach on, brutha................

chea.
    test
  12. jaykay

jaykay New Member

That album is classic. No weak tracks at all.

My favourite off that album is "People Everyday"..i don't know how many times i've listened to that in my life..
    test
  13. Senór Temp

Senór Temp Child of Monrovia ...

There's no wonder, when a different forum can use topics related to it.

That's like posting pictures in the sig check forum. lol
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.