2/20 Throwback Track of the Day: Pharcyde - Passin Me Byyyyyyyyyy

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by Old Soul, Feb 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Soul

Old Soul Nipple Nibbler

[​IMG]

Like De La Soul's Three Feet High & Rising, the Pharcyde's 1992 debut came at a time when hip-hop was headed in one direction, but the group was going somewhere else entirely. A crew of spunky ~~~~~~ armed with a self-deprecating sense of humor, the Pharcyde made an album that was fresh and profoundly honest. "Ya Mama" is a clever array of mother jokes set to cartoonish beats; "On the DL" has each MC unguardedly making self-denigrating confessions (like Fat Lip admitting to masturbating--previously a hip-hop no-no); and "Passin' Me By" is an ode to hopeless crushes on unattainable women. The group's playfulness was also infused with smarts, too, most visibly on "Officer." Recorded around the time of the Rodney King verdict, the song was an indictment of racial profiling--shrouded, of course, in a comic tale that parodied Public Enemy's "Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos." With animated beats from J-Swift (the West Coast version of Prince Paul) and four distinct rhyming styles, particularly Slim Kid Tre's melodiousness and Fat Lip's nerdiness, this album captures an innocence rarely seen in the music's posturing ways. It's something that this album captures forever. --Joseph Patel --This text refers to the Audio CD edition.

I'll let y'all drop your thoughts. I gotta jet.

Download Passin Me By
    test
  2. bigcfk24

bigcfk24 New Member

Downloading now...

Yo, you should post a thread at the end of each week, with a link to the 7 song you posted. And at the end of every month, link to the weekly, because I'd like to check out the other throwbacks that i've missed... (most of them)

Whooaa..... I remember this beat. Has it ever been sampled? I like it, but it'll probably be a couple of listens before I realize how good it is. Thanks for this
    test
  3. MagicDonJuan

MagicDonJuan Active Member

nice nice thanks. cover is crazy
    test
  4. spiidey31

spiidey31 allllllll mine

lol @ cats who don't know this song..

i love these threads cause they educate

this is probably on my top 5 of greatest hip hop songs ever... yes the beat has been sampled... most noteably by Joe- Stutter...
    J Dilla was a big producer for these guys as well, and they also did probably one of the best Hip Hop videos in ' drop ' ..... classic group, and that album is absolutely amazing... i was listening to passing me by before i saw this thread

amazing
    test
  5. Dialted

Dialted Mr. Ted dial

Yup yup, i remember this. Definately one of the top songs of all time, so so so soooooo often overlooked tho, in lists. Even i do it :frown:

And yes, it was sampled.. can't quite think where tho..
    test
  6. Old Soul

Old Soul Nipple Nibbler

"Drop" is definitely one of the GOAT videos.
    test
  7. jaykay

jaykay New Member

lol, i was just gonna do this right now...

anyway, obviously one of the greatest songs and albums of all time. If the Souls of Mischief are the A Tribe Called Quest of the west, then The Pharcyde are the De La Soul. This is just one of those hip hop anthems that everyone knows or should know. The one thing i love about this track is that anyone can relate to it..it's not just some unrealistic gangster bullshit..it's some down to earth real shit that everyone has experienced at one time or another.

And just for the record, the main loop ya'll are talking about is sampled from Quincey Jones' "Summer in the City, which is actually a popular break in hip hop. Ya'll make it sound like the rappers that have also used it are biting The Pharcyde or something..it's not like that at all. It's been used by LL Cool J, The Roots and Black Moon aswell. The other place i can remember it being used of the top is on that DJ Jazzy Jeff mixtape "The Vibe I'm On"..it was used as an intro or something. But i think it was flipped best on this song, as it was blended with a bunch of other samples, like those amazing horns..

And Spiidey, Jay Dee didn't have anything to do with the group until their second album. The production on here was mostly done by J-Swift and The Pharcyde themselves i think.

And that is definitely some of the dopest cover art ever.
    test
  8. -MSC-

-MSC- Artois

yeah^

and this song is dope same with the album..i can put it on anytime.
    test
  9. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

I honestly never liked this...

Iono, it just always urked me.
    test
  10. D.Cipher

D.Cipher New Member

oh man, this song takes me back...definantly one of my all time favs
    test
  11. identity-X

identity-X No Talent Assclown

weird, I just got done listining to this. the song Ya Mama (funny song as well!) came up on my shuffled Winamp playlist so I played Passing my by right after.

dope drop
    test
  12. The_MRB

The_MRB infiltrate your border

1 of the best ever id shag fat lip
    test
  13. OrtizDupri

OrtizDupri then you gotta BREATHE

My dear my dear my dear you do not know me but I know you very well...
    test
  14. SpAnKy

SpAnKy 플레이보이

I listen to this on my i pod all the time.
    test
  15. -pablo picasso-

-pablo picasso- Get Familiar

this is one of my fav, songs its my 9 year old sister fav. hip hop song
    test
  16. spiidey31

spiidey31 allllllll mine

it should be everyone's favourite hahah its a wicked song
    test
  17. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

"Now there she goes again, the dopest Ethiopian..."

I love that opening line for some reason.... Fat Lip kills it. I love the Jimi Hendrix sample at the beginning... but you know what? This ain't even my favorite song on the tape... it might be "On the Down Low" or "Pack the Pipe."
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.