15 British soldiers captured by the Iranian Government...

Discussion in 'IntroSpectrum' started by thedream233, Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

In case you haven't heard, heres the latest article from yahoo.com about this incident...

By EDITH M. LEDERER, Associated Press Writer
    11 minutes ago

UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. Security Council expressed "grave concern" Thursday over Iran's seizure of 15 British sailors and marines and called for an early resolution of the escalating dispute, but Iran's chief international negotiator suggested the captives might be put on trial.

ADVERTISEMENT

As the standoff drove world oil prices to new six-month highs, Turkey, NATO's only Muslim member, reportedly sought to calm tensions by urging Iran to let a Turkish diplomat meet with the detainees and to free the lone woman among the Britons.

Tensions had seemed to be cooling a day earlier, but after Iran angered British leaders by airing a video of the prisoners and Britain touched a nerve in Tehran by seeking U.N. help, positions hardened even more Thursday.

Iran retreated from a pledge by Iranian Foreign Minister Mottaki that the female sailor, Faye Turney, would be released soon. Mottaki then repeated that the matter could be resolved if Britain admitted its sailors mistakenly entered Iranian territorial waters last Friday.

Britain's Foreign Office insisted again that the sailors and marines were seized in an Iraqi-controlled area while searching merchant ships under a U.N. mandate and said no admission of error would be made.

With Britain taking its case to the United Nations, Ali Larijani, the top Iranian negotiator in all his country's foreign dealings, went on Iranian state radio to issue a warning.

He said that if Britain continued its current approach, "this case may face a legal path" — a clear reference to Iran prosecuting the sailors and marines in court. "British leaders have miscalculated this issue," he said.

Gen. Ali Reza Afshar, Iran's military chief, blamed the backtracking on releasing the British woman on "wrong behavior" by her government. "The release of a female British soldier has been suspended," the semiofficial Iranian news agency Mehr said.

The Security Council's statement was a watered-down version of a stronger draft sought by Britain to "deplore" Iranian actions and urge the immediate release of the prisoners, primarily because Russia opposed putting blame on the Tehran regime, diplomats said.

Russia also objected to the council adopting Britain's position that its sailors were operating in Iraqi waters when they were captured, the diplomats said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

With agreement required from all 15 members for a statement's wording, the parties spent more than four hours in private talks before emerging with wording softer than had been sought by Britain, which is also known as the United Kingdom.

"Members of the Security Council expressed grave concern at the capture by the Revolutionary Guard and the continuing detention by the government of Iran of 15 United Kingdom naval personnel and appealed to the government of Iran to allow consular access in terms of the relevant international laws," the statement said.

"Members of the Security Council support calls including by the secretary-general in his March 29 meeting with the Iranian foreign minister for an early resolution of this problem including the release of the 15 U.K. personnel."

British Ambassador Emyr Jones Parry expressed hope it would send "the right message" to the Iranian government to provide immediate access to the prisoners and bring their prompt release.

Earlier, Iranian state television reported what was believed to be Ahmadinejad's first comment on the standoff, saying he accused Britain of using propaganda rather than trying to solve the matter quietly through diplomatic channels.

Iran's state TV also said Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip had contacted Ahmadinejad seeking permission for a Turkish diplomat to meet with the seized Britons and urging the release of Turney, the female sailor.

Erdogan's move was seen as a possible opening to mediation in the faceoff because Turkey is one of the few countries that has good relations with both Iran and the West.

The report said Ahmadinejad promised that Erdogan's appeal would be studied, but also told the Turkish leader that the detention case had entered a legal investigation phase.

State television also broadcast a video it said showed show the operation that seized the British sailors and marines. In the clip, a helicopter hovers above inflatable boats in choppy seas, then the Royal Navy crews are seen seated in an Iranian vessel.

The video came a day after Iran broadcast a longer video showing the Britons in captivity. That video included a segment showing Turney saying her team had "trespassed" in Iranian waters.

British Foreign Secretary Margaret Beckett condemned Iran's use of Turney for what she called "propaganda purposes," calling it "outrageous and cruel."

The Iranians released a letter Wednesday purportedly written by Turney to her family saying the British sailors were in Iranian waters. And the video aired Thursday showed another letter supposedly by Turney to Britain's Parliament calling for British troops to leave Iraq.

"I ask the representatives of the House of Commons, after the government promised that this kind of incident wouldn't happen again, why did they let this occur, and why has the government not been questioned over this," the letter read. "Isn't it time to start withdrawing our forces from Iraq and let them determine their own future?"

Some experts raised questions about that letter, saying its wording hinted it was first composed in Farsi and then translated into English.

"It's obviously been dictated to her," said Nadim Shehadi, an expert on Iran at the Chatham House think tank in London. "There's no way she would phrase it like that."

Beckett said there were "grave concerns about the circumstances in which it was prepared and issued."

"This blatant attempt to use Leading Seaman Turney for propaganda purposes is outrageous and cruel," Beckett said.

A spokesman for Prime Minister Tony Blair said Britain wanted to resolve the crisis quickly and without having a "confrontation over this."

"We are not seeking to put Iran in a corner. We are simply saying, 'Please release the personnel who should not have been seized in the first place,'" said the spokesman, speaking on condition of anonymity in line with government policy.

But in a briefing to reporters, the spokesman said British officials had been angered by Tehran's decision to show video of the captives.

"Nobody should be put in that position. It is an impossible position to be put in," he said. "It is wrong. It is wrong in terms of the usual conventions that cover this. It is wrong in terms of basic humanity."

What do you guys think about this? I think Iran just needs some leverage in order for the U.N. to lift the sanctions. I dont believe for a second that the girl wrote either of the notes.
    test
  2. Yahunyahti

Yahunyahti New Member

All Britain has to do is say that their soldiers "mistakingly" went into Iranian waters and the British won't do it to free their people?

I personally think this political bullshit needs to stop.
    Britain crossed their border. That's all there is to it.
    Admit it and bring the soldiers home.

This is ridiculous. It's like a game of keep away. Iran takes a few soldiers and says, "Apologize" and Britain is the stubborn kid who won't admit he was wrong. Britain goes to the parent (UN) and says, "Mommy! Iran won't give us our people back."

Why should the woman be released? She's a soldier.
    What happened to equality? Release them all or don't release any of them.
    test
  3. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

Bingo, I compare it to the Iranian Hostage crisis of a 444 days.
    Those saliors were forced to write that Propaganda just like the Hostages of 444 days say they were (inorder to force stupid ass jimmy carter into a Algiers Accords). It's bullshit, tactical leverage. The britsh weren't but 2 miles in the Iraqi waters. Also quite funny Mr. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad pulled this tactic a day before his UN Sanctions meeting, I also think his US visa was not applied for in time or was delayed. He knew the Jig was up so he needed to by some more time!

The smart thing is not to attack Iran all out or even at all. That will only embolden the enemies embolden power more. And make Britian appear as the big bad Imperalistic guys for attacking poor Iran. However, there are other ways of Hurting Iran like for instance Iran has only one refinery, and makes a economy out of 50% of the oil supply. You could strike their oil supply and Iran will be left with a dwindling economy. Which will then make Iran, Give up the Hostages. And of course, Iran wants the masses to think the saliors were in perisan waters, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is not a dumb lazy westerner. I'll give him that. He has studied his enemy the west very well for many years (Infact he took part in the Iranian Hostage crisis of 444 days.) ... So he knows number 1.) The west is weaker than ever right now. number 2.) How dervisifed nations work towards his advantage. And number 3.) If Iran says they didn't make a Provocation, but it was Britian who did, then no retaliation under the UN Security council rules for provacation of war can commence. Now if britian attacks, He will have successfully created another Hezballah vs Israel like last summer!

where are people when Iran is aiding Weapons to terrorist in Iraq?
    Where are people when Iran is funding terrorist orginizations in Iraq?
    Where are people when Iran (revolutionary guard) are fighting in iraq?

They are nowhere, they are Sympathizing with Iran. While the west takes the blame for everything. This is do to the fact People are partisan with their Politics, it just so happends that partisan leans radical Left/CT, Thanks to uneducated educators educating the youth. Now if you speak out against these Uneducated educators like a rosie Odonnell for example, Your truth is Heresay and your freedom of speech doesn't apply to you. They're running quite a paradox.
    test
  4. MC VeXeD

MC VeXeD New Member

Although we usually agree, I have to take Yahu's side on this one.......

First off, there are no boundary lines in the waters off of Iraq and Iran. The border was never discussed as it was never a problem between the people.

The maps they show you are done by English cartographers. If you look closely and measure the border they draw, you'd notice how much more water is "Iraq's"

And to those thinking Iran cares about sanctions. AHAHAH!

How dare the Iranians put those soldiers on TV!!!!
    especially without beating them first and putting a bag on their head?

Letting her wear their clothes and hats? O HOW CRUEL!!!!

see things for what they are.... they are being thrown on TV to show the people of the world they aren't being abused and are being treated nicely.

and all they wanted was an apology! NO! we are too good to apologize to people "lesser" than us.

Iran is the stepping stone . We are the leaving the evolution/saviorship model of existence in which polarities are proven.

NEVER has men had discussion without debate thus proving my polarity speech.

All is as it should be.....
    test
  5. double ML

double ML Guest

iran finna get fucked up![stunna]
    test
  6. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

This is all part of the Iran tactical strategy. I told you The persident of Iran is not stupid. He knows exactly what he is doing and Where he chooses to do it. You have made a naive Error in judgement though.

if you apply that rule in the way you suggest to the Shatt and the Kuwaiti line to the West, you have cut off Iraq from access to the high seas, which is specifically forbidden under UNCLOS and obviously unfair to boot.

Furthermore, if the Iranians dispute the line as drawn, why - when it was pointed out that their initial claim placed them on the wrong side of it - did they change their minds about where they had made the capture? Exactly!

you have missed two important points regarding the Iran-Iraq boundary:

1) The international law of the sea require that, in the absence of agreement on a territorial sea boundary, neither side may extend its territorial sea beyond the median line between the two coasts unless historic title or other special circumstances justify doing so. I can see no such justification in this case. While Iran is not a party to either the 1958 or 1982 law of the sea conventions, the provisions in those conventions concerning the territorial sea are widely-regarded to have become customary international law, and therefore binding on Iran. So until Iran and Iraq formally agree a territorial sea boundary, the median line (more or less as depicted on the Ministry of Defence graphics) serves as a de facto boundary.

2) The land boundary agreed between Iran and Iraq in 1975 extended to the mouth of the Shatt al Arab river at the lowest low-water line. The point at which the British government claims that the incident took place lies just under 1.7 nautical miles southwest of the agreed land boundary terminus, and it is arguable that the incident actually took place on what is technically Iraqi land territory: Britsh charts of the area show the low-water line (the normal baseline from which the territorial sea is measured) running around 100 metres south of where the British government says the incident took place.

My feelings are it's extremely unlikely that Iran has any legitimate claim to the point in question.

Wrong Iran does care. However, they are just flexing under the word "Confront" to test how far they can get away with everything. They took 15 UK soldiers from 2 miles in the Iraqi waters that were working under a UN mandate, The Idea is to see if Britian is weak enough to allow this bullying. If UK does, The whole country loses face. simple as that. If Iran Knows the UK is weak, They'll crush britian altogether eventually. But let me put it in words you'll understand, Iran is basically making UK look like a Bitch.

The Iranians want two things from this incident.
    number one:The Iranians captured inside of Iraq back.
    number two:They don't want sancations on their economy for not halting Uranium Enrichment.

It's propaganda. you're easily tricked.

They Also let her smoke a cig too, Same tactics that were done during the Hostage crisis of 444 days. Propaganda to make Iran look like good guys.
    I've honestly never met someone as naive as you. Yes that Hijab is so
    appealing while she awaits on Death Row.

Wrong, They are being thrown on Tv so stupid people think that.
    They are thrown on tv as propganda tools. Every statement they are making Is read off a script the iranians provided for them.

That's right Iran doesn't deserve an Apology. Because those UK troops were only 2 miles in the Iraqi waters.

Iran is run by a piece of shit regime, Even the young educated people of Iran want it Gone. You see the world through Beer goggles.

Your rant was naive.
    test
  7. double ML

double ML Guest

vote= menaz
    test
  8. MC VeXeD

MC VeXeD New Member

LOLOLOL

an open mouth expresses a closed mind and a closed mouth expresses an open mind

you are so trained to defend what you've been taught, because it all u think you have

LOL@being nice being propaganda meaning they're bad

so abu ghraib is jus propaganda that really makes us look good?

u look too deep into things

take what is surface, as the unknowable is unknowable.
    accept that

and who is the UN to make borders on land that isn't theirs?
    THINK!

and Iran DOESN't CARE! as long as we run a fossil-fuel run economy, they are kings

think they give a fuck?

they're saying bring it on

You support fascism and hate it

hypocrite
    test
  9. double ML

double ML Guest

^^your mother is a fascist
    test
  10. MC VeXeD

MC VeXeD New Member

yes keep thinking your God

u know everything

fucking brainwashed loser

vote = God
    test
  11. double ML

double ML Guest

lmao@you bein' brainwashed enough to say that i'm brainwashed[funny]

bitch.[fu]
    test
  12. MC VeXeD

MC VeXeD New Member

LOL .... at least that was an enlightening statement
    test
  13. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

You're changing the subject. However I can explain this to you.
    What happend at Abu ghraib is very real, And the photos were accendently left on a digital camera that another officer of the United states borrowed, Once he discovered the shocking Photos he turned them in. However, What Iran is producing is scripted grey propaganda photos. Just like how Yellow-Journalist were doing. When they used the same alive people to pose as dead people in photos over and over again during the Hezbollah and Israel conflict. Everything you are see coming from the Iranian regime is scripted grey Propaganda. Also what those in particular kids did at Abu ghraib was horrid. You play partisan politics. Think about it, what better way for Iran to turn people against the west than to show apologist they're more humane than the west. It's fucking genius, And the Apologetist will buy into whatever they are feed. You will become a Dhimmie and you will lose your freedom. You don't know what freedom really is until you lose it. Nothing to say about Iran's horridly Run Prisons? I Didn't think so.

Yes I do. It puts me on par with the clever Gaius Octavius.

Only a fool would. That's like saying, I didn't have sexual relations with that women. Do you believe me... OK! ... LOL!

It's to my understanding the UN is the international peace and security made up of191 states. The UNCLOS is the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea.

WE? As in your with Iran? or We as in the west? or We as in the royal "I"?
    But I agree the west should go GREEN "for whatever the reasons"!

Without a doubt I know they do.

Who hasn't?

I support nothing of the sort. But undoubtly you do.
    I think double hit the nail right on the head.
    You're a coffee shop demagogue.
    test
  14. BeEgEe

BeEgEe El Warm Shot

menaz taking things to polar extremes again.

nuthin new
    test
  15. MC VeXeD

MC VeXeD New Member

and you're a rapmusic demagogue......

whats the difference between me and you- x to z

oh ya.. about 5 bank accounts 3 ounces and 2 vehicles....

I've lived both sides... i've had mayonaisse sandwiches and rode in aston martins

dont talk to me about being a demagogue fool

and if gauis octavius is who u strive to be..... ahahahahah fucking loser

"i will beat u, it gets me off sexually"

ahjahahahaha
    test
  16. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

To be honest, I'm more intrigued as to Americas response. Our government has bent over backwards for America in Iraq, Africa and Afghanistan, for little recognition.

Ultimately Iran will surrender the hostages. People are calling this the 'Final curtain for the Empire' because we cave now, there's no going back. Britain is officially dead and we may as well hand over power to the EU and speak French.

But realistically there's only 3 possible results, in order:

1. Britain waits it out and Iran buckles, releasing the sailors.

2. 6 months from now, when everyone has forgotten about it, we'll turn on the news and find there is 'uproar' as the SAS went in over night and slaughtered everyone.

3. This is another 'Franz Ferdinand' and this time next month Iraq is on the back burner as we bomb the fuck out of Iran.
    test
  17. double ML

double ML Guest

vote= SAS slaughters the bad guys
    test
  18. Yahunyahti

Yahunyahti New Member

I can't believe this retarded shit is still going on in 2007.

Do you realize that our last 100 years have been one war after another and none of them have been in our own country? Isn't that just a little strange that our leaders are willing to waste our tax dollars to go into other countries and change their political system? How does any of this benefit any of you? Just curious.

Iran is funding terrorists now?
    First Iraq has weapons of mass destruction (which turned out to be a complete lie) and now Iran is funding terrorists? What's next? They gonna go after Saudi Arabia? I don't think America is quite that stupid. I hate to say this but attacking Saudi Arabia would be (by far) the dumbest thing any country could possibly do.

That is where Mecca is. If they attack Saudi Arabia it will wind down to an all out World War. There are over 1,000,000 Muslims spread out around the world. If they ever attack Mecca ALL of them will fight on all the different nations, at once.

It would be fuckin chaos.
    I really hope the Bush Admin isn't that stupid.
    test
  19. Yahunyahti

Yahunyahti New Member

This could all be resolved so easily if the American people would wake up.
    test
  20. double ML

double ML Guest

yeah- it would be nice if the american ppl woke the fuck up

and realized we need to put this shit down with resoundin' over the top violence and put an end to it
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.