[12.01] Jay Z Signs UK Grime Star (Lady Sovereign)

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by Opulent, Dec 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Opulent

Opulent Mixtape King.

Jay-Z has added one of the most unlikely emcees to his Def Jam roster – UK Grime star Lady Sovereign.

Keen to expand the Def Jam empire under his reign, Mr. Carter has signed the self-proclaimed “biggest midget in the game."

The 19-year-old Lady Sovereign has been making some noise on the UK underground scene for a couple of years now, but has only recently gotten her shine with the release of singles Random, 9 to 5and the new Basement Jaxx-produced single, Hoodie, taken from her Vertically Challenged EP, (now available in the US).

The young Sovereign, from Wembley, North West London, is the latest Grime emcee to hit the big time, following in the footsteps of East London’s Dizzee Rascal and Wiley.

For those unfamiliar to Grime, the music is something of a subgenre to the UK Garage scene, which reached its peak around 2003 with the emergence of the So Solid Crew and the More Fire Crew. The genre is best known for its raw beats and the rapid-fire delivery of lyrics.

Lady Sovereign is largely recognized as being the ‘next big thing’ to break through to the UK mainstream market, and last month caught the attention of Jay-Z at a show in New York.

Sovereign soon found herself being whisked away to the Def Jam offices for a meeting with Jigga and L.A. Reid, where she was asked to rhyme on the spot.

“I was almost shaking,” she recalls on her website, http://www.ladysovereign.com. “I just did like three lots of 16 bars – a couple of them were freestyles – and then all of a sudden the room was silent. The I could see Jay-Z had this really happy grin on his face and he started whispering to all the other people…”

Having now signed to Def Jam, Lady Sovereign can look forward to working with some of the best beat makers in the industry, including Young Guru and Full Force. Her debut album, tentatively titled Public Warning, is scheduled for a Spring 2006 release, and is to be released on Island/Def Jam.
    test
  2. M-SiZZY!!

M-SiZZY!! Deli Beats

test
  3. fishyfishy

fishyfishy Active Member

doesnt surprise me, considering what he considers a hot track
    test
  4. i Luv Da Cock

i Luv Da Cock TRU "GINGER" KID

Jay-Z is the next PT Barnum.
    test
  5. Customize

Customize Talks Sense

ive seen her live..as a support act for Obie Trice & D-12 in Dublin, Ireland, she was literally booed off the stage, she cut her set short and walked off stage after she tried & tried to get some support & reaction from the crowd..she was all like "no Irish love for U.K grime"....hell no get of tha stage

ive heard this before...it was just a rumour...but now that she has officially announced it...im shocked that she can get a record ahead of hard working ill emcees...what is Hova thinking??
    test
  6. quotive

quotive 3

He shoulda signed Mike Shinoda :\
    test
  7. OrtizDupri

OrtizDupri then you gotta BREATHE

Uh... Shinoda has a deal.
    test
  8. 2Xtreme

2Xtreme a.k.a. Mad Static 4:14

all i can say, is that its gonna be real interesting to see what this album's like, as ive yet to hear what her EP sounds like. and from what I've heard, its got great reviews outside of the core hip hop crowd, but inside (i.e. rapreviews.com), dont sound too good. Jigga, dont let me down!!!
    test
  9. Tupac_Alypse_Now

Tupac_Alypse_Now # Bars & Runnin'

Fuck this shit, I really doubt that this chick will be marketed to a US audience. Def Jam will probably push this shit in the UK and thats about it. Let's hope they don't try to make a big push for her here in the states since that will look pretty ridiculous for Def Jam. This genre of music isn't familiar enough here to make any kind of impact.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.